• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Liverpool

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Challs, football is a simple game made complicated by idiots.
But by idiots who unquestionably nick themselves a nice few quid, FACT !

ChallinorisaGOD

Challs, football is a simple game made complicated by idiots.
If it was so simple we would all be playing/managing/coaching at the highest level and clearly we are all not. The simple aspects of football can be complimented with the correct and proper uses of science and advances in technology to create a more thorough approach and improve all aspects of the sport for players, managers, chairman and spectators and fans alike. To disregard its use without a shred of evidence to back up your argument is IMO idiocy.

You are over simplifying the game to a huge degree and science has an absolutely integral part in the game now and it would have done since its invention if it had been around.

Football, as in every single major sport is subjective (as is clearly evident with a 30 second look around this website) and using science throughout its cores created an objective viewpoint that cannot be argued with and is, as so commonly used on here, FACT. In my humble opinion I believe basing decisions on team selctions, player recruitment and tactics for other teams based around the facts given to you is of greater benefit than using one or two people's subjective opinions. If it was not the case then Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Bobby Robson, Arsene Wenger and the like who all have the highest level fo experience would not need to use any science as they would understand the 'simplicities' (as you put it) of football and make their subjective opinion would be the correct one each time.

The truth is they are not always right because even their opinion is just that. So they use science and the facts it provides to base their opinions to improve the probablitiy of being right as a starting point before their own skills determine whtehr they are successful or not.

The problem being for 'science' and its critics is that every Premiership club has the ability (read: money) to use this same amount of science and as such it becomes less of a factor in the top league so people disregard it as not being necessary. I would be willing to wager that any Premier league club who decided not to use the science and analysis available to them would be relegation fodder. In the same way a club in the BSP using the same level of science available to a Premier League side would be more likely (and IMO near certainties) to achieve promotion.

The facts into the usefulness of science in all sports, not just football, is out there if you choose to seek them out rather than base a theory or opinion on nothing.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

(Lets the boffin ramble on to a finish). Yes, yes biological science will have it's place when you refer to health and fitness but at the end of the day it's skill and ability that win matches not science and statistics (ie prozone). It's the skill and ability of Man Uniteds players that puts the fear of God into opponents not Fat Sams ability to manipulate prozone and his oxygen tents.

The mighty Grecian

finetime

(Lets the boffin ramble on to a finish). Yes, yes biological science will have it's place when you refer to health and fitness but at the end of the day it's skill and ability that win matches not science and statistics (ie prozone). It's the skill and ability of Man Uniteds players that puts the fear of God into opponents not Fat Sams ability to manipulate prozone and his oxygen tents.
Making your post sound disrespecting (while simultaneously sounding stupid) and rolling out a tired football cliche like 'at the en of the day it's skill and ability..' blah blah sounds like you've been applying for the position of pundit on match of the day. It's about the level of depth and understanding you actually have. No, wait, you DID think Shearer would make a good manager at Newcastle, didn't you?

Interesting reading Ramos' comments about Spurs before and after he took over. He puts their improvements solely down to the players getting fit in body and mind seeing as the 'skill and ability' were already there.

Bizarre how you can argue about Allardyce when he was given barely 6 months at Newcastle. It's never enough time to judge a manager and although the football would never have been pretty I imagine he would have been steady and successful (top 8) in time. Which is about as good as Newcastle will ever be again IMO.

Guess it just adds to the growing evidence that you actually know f*ck all about football.

ChallinorisaGOD

And just precisely how do you think that any member of the coaching staff realise what they need to coach? Head coach just goes "well, errr, I think that he needs to work on this" and that is it decided? Thats just an opinion whereas the fact is provided by stats programmes such as Prozone and that is how to base any coaching and is how it is achieved at any top level club. I'm not denying that Man U players are simply better than NU's but the fact that science aids players in both camps to train and coach them into better players is of benefit to everyone involved with football.

Yet despite all the pesky evidence of its usefulness in sport and the studies proving it makes a huge difference and the fact that every single top club uses the science, you still think there is "too much" of it. That makes your opinion wrong, plain and simple. All I'm trying to point out is that your opinion isn't based on anything at all whatsoever and you have no reason, facts or evidence upon which to base them and that science has an integral part in football and sport across the board in making the game more enjoyable to watch and play.

Yes I may be a boffin, I would expect to be on a subject I hope to make a career out of just the same as you are with your postcodes.

Poultice

Yes I may be a boffin, I would expect to be on a subject I hope to make a career out of just the same as you are with your postcodes.
Harsh !

But fair comment.

LMFAO. ( No offence intended )

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
i think we will win the champions league - this season is so simular to Istanbul - were underdogs and battling it out with the bluenoses for 5th....

Whatever happens Rafa must go.

Without dount the most embarrasing result in a long time.

manc grecian

If Everton finish 4th and you lot win it I will go on a violent rampage somewhere.

finetime

Whatever happens Rafa must go.

Without dount the most embarrasing result in a long time.
You can go back a few pages and find CREDY fully behind Rafa.

So cynical...