• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Liverpool v Exeter City - Official Matchday Thread

Mark Wakeley

Don't know if last night's Anfield attendance has been posted anywhere, so apologies if I'm repeating it, but a very decent 43,292.
All those fans and I end up next to Mr Martin. What are the odds? 6000 - 1

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
All those fans and I end up next to Mr Martin. What are the odds? 6000 - 1
He's a nice chap; somewhat of a historian, like myself.

Pete Martin (CTID)

He's a nice chap; somewhat of a historian, like myself.
More historic these days tbh!

The conclusion of Tagg's interview in yesterday's Grauniad:
“Paul is an exceptional manager, he’ll come up with a plan, as he does for every game, and I wouldn’t put it past him causing an upset.”

Well, he's not, & he didn't...but he did have a plan.

A plan that Klopp laughed at publicly, that McManaman ridiculed publicly, but which his mate James sort of saw the reasoning behind.

This is the first time that Tisdale has been called out in the media by people from the football world.

Thing is, he used the same plan, with the same sort of personnel, that he's been trying to implement for 4 years now - with exactly the same outcome.

It's not good enough. And he needs to be made to acknowledge that it's not good enough. And Tagg needs to be made to acknowledge that it's not good enough.

Because if they're not, then guddling around in the lower half of the 2nd division, losing more & more fans who can't thole watching substandard ****e, week in, week out, is going to be the summit of the Club's ambitions.

Terryhall

It's disappointing as we didn't give ourselves the best chance of causing an upset. That's the only thing which is slightly hurting me at the minute. I'm not anti Butterfield/Oakley but we needed legs in the middle, like what we did with McCready/Manny at Sunderland. We surrendered the game before we kicked off with our team selection.
Agree with this. Soon as I saw the line-up I knew we'd be in for a long night.

Willy Nilly

All this talk of 'plastics' - get over yourselves for Christ's sake.

Were fans really singing 10 German Bombers!? I didn't hear that thankfully. Very embarrassing if true.

Avening Posse

Good day out in terms of catching up with old friends, going to Anfield etc, I personally think Tis knew exactly what he was doing when he named that team sheet, in my view he knew it was just about the money and we were bound to lose, so certain players were given a rest and certain old stagers were given a final day in the sun. Just my view of course.

Stewards were a pain. Some ridiculous chants from us, cringingly embarrassing at times, but thankfully drowned out in the main by our normal renditions. Glad I support a lower division club, I know I'm in a minority but in terms of a day out give me Cheltenham away anyday UTC

MagzECFC

All this talk of 'plastics' - get over yourselves for Christ's sake.

Were fans really singing 10 German Bombers!? I didn't hear that thankfully. Very embarrassing if true.
I personally didn't sing it but there was a reasoning, Jurgen didn't wave.

Rachmaninov

The conclusion of Tagg's interview in yesterday's Grauniad:
“Paul is an exceptional manager, he’ll come up with a plan, as he does for every game, and I wouldn’t put it past him causing an upset.”

Well, he's not, & he didn't...but he did have a plan.

A plan that Klopp laughed at publicly, that McManaman ridiculed publicly, but which his mate James sort of saw the reasoning behind.

This is the first time that Tisdale has been called out in the media by people from the football world.

Thing is, he used the same plan, with the same sort of personnel, that he's been trying to implement for 4 years now - with exactly the same outcome.

It's not good enough. And he needs to be made to acknowledge that it's not good enough. And Tagg needs to be made to acknowledge that it's not good enough.

Because if they're not, then guddling around in the lower half of the 2nd division, losing more & more fans who can't thole watching substandard ****e, week in, week out, is going to be the summit of the Club's ambitions.
Agree so much with this. The Tis strategy of holding out for as long as possible at 0-0 and going for it in the final quarter has been exposed as flawed time and time again. It doesnt work against League 2 opposition, it doesnt work against Liverpool. I think he's repeatedly exposed as not being the master tactician he and the club board think he is. A great night out but can we come away feeling we gave it our best shot? I think not...

arthur

It has been said but feel really let down by Tisdale and the old guard. We proved what we could do I the first game but with old pros who cannot run against a premiership side feel they totally disrespected the thousands of fans who made the journey. The atmosphere in the away end suffered because of thus as many knew the game was over before it had began. This felt like real contempt for the fans and on the TV too, let's hope the money is used to get youth or players..
Absolutely. It was literally contemptible. I have progessed from sceptic to phobe when it comes to our manager.