• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

sign of the chimes

Financial implications Chimes - please enlighten me?
Speculation on my part, but based on a couple of things colliding.

From memory, as I read the detail some time ago, there had been some boardroom wranglings over the past couple of seasons involving one of the co-owners (Canadian, I think) who had come in and invested alongside MacAnthony.

I think there were some alleged shennanigans regarding where some of the money had come from - the upshot seemed to be that it got sorted, but that the club were in more debt as a result.

I doubt this is a wolves at the door moment - but reckon the extra £10m in TV money next season might have made a big difference; given their operating model has long been spending not insubstantial fees on young talent, selling them on for bigger fees where possible, and using that money to rinse/repeat while flitting between tiers two and three. A third season in L1 isn't going to do them any favours unless MacAnthony is in a position to either take more of a debt burden, or load more debt on the club which, unless he's going to let that slide is unlikely to end well.

I could be talking out of my hat, of course.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hopefully the Archie installments are safe..

andrew p long

as we're football creditors we'd be in a strong position (assuming the rules are unchanged)

and the commentary tonight implied that they were likely to sell a couple of players for big money this summer if still in League One

sign of the chimes

as we're football creditors we'd be in a strong position (assuming the rules are unchanged)

and the commentary tonight implied that they were likely to sell a couple of players for big money this summer if still in League One
Yep, football creditors are typically safe.

As I say, don't envisage anything imminently - just read a fair bit earlier this season that made the spidey-senses twitch. Some more detail in this article from the Beeb site - but pretty sure I read something else that was what really got me thinking about their sustainability.

I've no particular beef with Posh - and wasn't trying to suggest I think they're on the precipice - just interested in their overall situation given the issues they've had behind the scenes and the likely need to cut their cloth next season. I suspect the Ephron Mason-Clark sale to Coventry will be very timely for them, but reckon the pressure to get back up increases with every season.

Grecian Max

Another season of third tier footy for Archie and Joel! 😎
You're one bitter ex 😂

Standing in the garden with binoculars

Bridgy 81

Another season of third tier footy for Archie and Joel! 😎
They both did well for us (Archie in particular) and we got very good money when they left (Joel in particular).
I don’t begrudge them the chance to try and advance their careers.
Nor do I take pleasure in any missteps they may have along the way.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
They both did well for us (Archie in particular) and we got very good money when they left (Joel in particular).
I don’t begrudge them the chance to try and advance their careers.
Nor do I take pleasure in any missteps they may have along the way.
No missteps in my view - we just need them to cough up more transfer monies ASAP or come home !

Alistair20000

Several desperate blocks, a clearance off the line that must have been very close to over it and a very good save from the keeper all in the last few minutes got Oxford over the line.

Colesman Ballz

Yep, football creditors are typically safe.

As I say, don't envisage anything imminently - just read a fair bit earlier this season that made the spidey-senses twitch. Some more detail in this article from the Beeb site - but pretty sure I read something else that was what really got me thinking about their sustainability.

I've no particular beef with Posh - and wasn't trying to suggest I think they're on the precipice - just interested in their overall situation given the issues they've had behind the scenes and the likely need to cut their cloth next season. I suspect the Ephron Mason-Clark sale to Coventry will be very timely for them, but reckon the pressure to get back up increases with every season.
The money from the EM-C sale and the addition of sell on fees for Toney, if he moves from Brentford as expected, should help sort their financial woes !

Banksy

Several desperate blocks, a clearance off the line that must have been very close to over it and a very good save from the keeper all in the last few minutes got Oxford over the line.
And Peterborough wimp out again , must be frustrating……