• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

sign of the chimes

I've been following Keiran Maguire's Price of Football twitter account recently as the accounts are all coming out and this is nothing out of the ordinary for L1 or L2, a lot of seven figure losses are being posted. The Championship is even more horrific for losses. As for the underlying debt to owners...

There is so much money in football that it shouldn't be difficult to run financially prudently, putting the money back onto the pitch and into clubs and stadiums without posting losses year on year and being propped up. But the continual lure and ambition of the next level up and even more money in the PL, and if you are in the PL, in the CL, just drips down the leagues. As long as there are owners always willing to facilitate debt, it will continue. I am not sure where this ends really, I doubt an independent regulator will be able to click their fingers and make clubs sustainable. I absolutely know that the PL and clubs themselves won't.
Yes, some interesting reading - Kieran Maguire's socials are a really useful conduit for this sort of stuff. The headline figures are often quite startling, but I do think it's important to bear in mind that: a) two clubs may have similar losses but not all losses are equal; b) clubs can make losses but remain sustainable.

There are lots of 'propping up' losses in football; but not all are that.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, some interesting reading - Kieran Maguire's socials are a really useful conduit for this sort of stuff. The headline figures are often quite startling, but I do think it's important to bear in mind that: a) two clubs may have similar losses but not all losses are equal; b) clubs can make losses but remain sustainable.

There are lots of 'propping up' losses in football; but not all are that.
As is the case at your beloved Pompey where a significant chunk has gone toward stadium improvements where I have to say my most recent visit was a vast improvement compared to what it was like

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster

sign of the chimes

That's terrifying, isn't it? Feels like a question of 'when' rather than 'if' :(

andrew p long

'Fair play' and Pilley don't belong in the same sentence.

Pilley serving a lengthy prison sentence for sustained nasty frauds. Any money put into the football club was stolen by Pilley from others.

sign of the chimes

'Fair play' and Pilley don't belong in the same sentence.

Pilley serving a lengthy prison sentence for sustained nasty frauds.
If he tries to escape would it be a case of putting the file in Fylde?

Spoonz Red E

If he tries to escape would it be a case of putting the file in Fylde?
If he succeeds in escaping and has the last laugh will he live ha! Pilley ever after?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
If he succeeds in escaping and has the last laugh will he live ha! Pilley ever after?
🤮🤮🤮

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

STURTZ

Peterborough 1, Carlisle 3.

What's that all about?