• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 2023/24 Relegation Prediction Thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry Denzel, but Torquay went down on 51 in 2005 on GD.
I was going back 10 seasons, not 20!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was worried that my fading memory, which has been exposed in recent posts, was worse than I thought, because I had no memory of Orient being in the top tier in the 70's. A quick search says that they were promoted to the top tier for the 62/63 season and came straight back down, the only time that they had got there. That was six years before I started following football closely. Although I have had an interest in what happened before then, I had missed Orient making the top tier.
I could have sworn seeing John Chidoze on ITV The Big Match with Brian Moore playing for orient in the top flight but it appears my memory is as bad as yours :love: Sad story about Johnat Very sad story of John Chidozie (UPDATED) - Cybereagles

Bridgy 81

surely you mean premier league Wrexham ...........
I drove past Wrexham today and saw the floodlights of their stadium from the bypass.
I didn’t see any Hollywood A-listers, but to be honest I wasn’t looking out for any of them.

Exehausted

There's a great BBC podcast about the period during which Sven took the helm at Notts County:
Very interesting and worth the listen, thanks for the link Egg.

Reactions: Egg

Exehausted

I could have sworn seeing John Chidoze on ITV The Big Match with Brian Moore playing for orient in the top flight but it appears my memory is as bad as yours :love: Sad story about Johnat Very sad story of John Chidozie (UPDATED) - Cybereagles
Yes a very sad story.

I disagree about Charlton. Yes, at the moment they are in appalling form and are the team you would expect to go. However, big clubs (at this level) always seem to find a way to escape tier 4 and rarely do these bigger clubs get close to it. The amount of big clubs that drop from tier 2 to 3 is a long list, Ipswich, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Southampton, Derby, for example, but only Bradford City have dropped down to level 4. They've just brought in Nathan Jones and they will expect a reaction and for that reason I think they will escape. From 21st upwards will see a lot of changes from now until the end of the season. As Andrew Long pointed out yesterday, Port Vale in 21st would go above us if they win their games in hand. While I'm confident that we will stay up, thanks to our strong defence and the fact that we are now creating chances and taking some of them, I wont relax until we get to 52 points.
My feeling is based around the fact that they strengthened heavily in January, but lack a cohesive style that matches with their players, add that to the fact that the owner is by all accounts extremely difficult to deal with (to the extent of wanting a relative of his to pick the team at times) under Ben Garner, and some friends I have that watch them every week and are despondent in their view of their football. Also think that whilst Nathan Jones is a good appointment, I just feel as though they are stuck in a bit of a rut and could be too late by the team he starts to put his stamp on things.

Yes, they've changed their manager, however I think Clarke could keep Cheltenham up, think Port Vale could battle through when they get their new manager and Reading will continue to pull away.

So for me it leaves Charlton and Shrewsbury, of which, I'm going with the former.

Agree with you that they would be a big big club to drop down to League 2, which often these clubs can wriggle away from, however IMO they have underachieved for years now and gone through multiple issues on/off the field and therefore need to go down and attempt to use it as a springboard to return to the level their stature deserves.

Exehausted

My feeling is based around the fact that they strengthened heavily in January, but lack a cohesive style that matches with their players, add that to the fact that the owner is by all accounts extremely difficult to deal with (to the extent of wanting a relative of his to pick the team at times) under Ben Garner, and some friends I have that watch them every week and are despondent in their view of their football. Also think that whilst Nathan Jones is a good appointment, I just feel as though they are stuck in a bit of a rut and could be too late by the team he starts to put his stamp on things.

Yes, they've changed their manager, however I think Clarke could keep Cheltenham up, think Port Vale could battle through when they get their new manager and Reading will continue to pull away.

So for me it leaves Charlton and Shrewsbury, of which, I'm going with the former.

Agree with you that they would be a big big club to drop down to League 2, which often these clubs can wriggle away from, however IMO they have underachieved for years now and gone through multiple issues on/off the field and therefore need to go down and attempt to use it as a springboard to return to the level their stature deserves.
Well as I'm sure you've seen, since I wrote that, people have come forward with examples of other clubs of a similar size that fell into tier four. They all had serious money problems, so understandable I suppose. Charlton don't seem to be on the financial brink like those clubs, which is why I thought that they would escape. I didn't know about the awkward owner though, so I agree, they are in serious trouble.

SidwellOldboy

Well as I'm sure you've seen, since I wrote that, people have come forward with examples of other clubs of a similar size that fell into tier four. They all had serious money problems, so understandable I suppose. Charlton don't seem to be on the financial brink like those clubs, which is why I thought that they would escape. I didn't know about the awkward owner though, so I agree, they are in serious trouble.
They have new owners since start of the season, but there in lies much of the problem. Repeated ownership and mangerial changes leads to league 2.. they have a huge March playing 3 of current bottom 4, plus us and Wigan. Alot depends on which version of Nathan Jones they’ve got.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nathan Jones rates the Admiral. Just saying.

They have new owners since start of the season, but there in lies much of the problem. Repeated ownership and mangerial changes leads to league 2.. they have a huge March playing 3 of current bottom 4, plus us and Wigan. Alot depends on which version of Nathan Jones they’ve got.
They've got to get through February first - playing 3 of the current top 3 plus Lincoln!!!