• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last thing you watched on TV

ForeverECFC

Harry Hills T.V Burp

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
programe about coppers that i recorded last night.

Firstly, Happy New Year one and all.

If I may be allowed, I just wanted to tell you about a television documentary which is being broadcast this evening. Details can be found here;

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=82915325

You may recognise the name of the narrator, Alison Steadman. Now, Alison has starred in many television programmes and films as well several stage and radio performances. Her more famous works include Shirley Valentine and The Singing Detective.

The director, Brian Henry Martin, is a well known and popular character within caravanning cirlces. Having grown up in Northern Ireland during 'the troubles' his family would aften take a deserved and welcome caravan break from it all down in the republic.

Brian famously recalls the time when they were returning from a week touring around County Roscommon, specifically to take in the The Railway Museum Castlerea, when they were stopped at the border checkpoint and had their caravan searched by the British troops stationed there. This was normal practice at the time, but imagine the horror on young Brian's parents' faces when a soldier emerged from their van holding a metallic cylindrical object wrapped in what appeared to be brown paper.

In their state of high alert, the troops dropped to the ground, fingers on triggers, bellowing at Brian and his family to slowly get out of the car. It was only when young Brian frantically explained that the mystery package was, in fact, an entirely harmless traction engine piston that he has bought his father as a surprise birthday gift, rather than anything vaguely nefarious.

They laugh about it now, of course, although the story is tinged with the sadness of a birthday surprise spoiled.

Anyway, that's enough from me. Tune in tonight and you will see the magic and the mystery of modern day caravanning unveiled.

Mike Blackstone

The Golden Age of Canals - last night on BBC4

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Golden Age of Canals - last night on BBC4
Stop taking the **** out of Mick Brownstone Mike.

Mike Blackstone

Stop taking the **** out of Mick Brownstone Mike.
Second part on Thursday night. I should add that prior to last night's programme I also watched Julia Bradbury's Canal Walks (3rd in a 4 part series) along the Kennet and Avon Canal. So, 90 minutes of TV for me - shock, horror.

BBC News this morning

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Swansea v Forest. In SD, our HD is on the fritz. Grr.

Second part on Thursday night. I should add that prior to last night's programme I also watched Julia Bradbury's Canal Walks (3rd in a 4 part series) along the Kennet and Avon Canal. So, 90 minutes of TV for me - shock, horror.
Mike,

Mark 18th June into your calendar if you're down this way for the 22nd annual Reading Water Fest. It’s being held at both the Kennet and Avon and also in Forbury Gardens. They’re expecting the usual mix of entertainment, traditional folk music and, of course, ‘refreshments’, if you know what I mean! We went every year from when it first started up until 2007, although I got a little carried away with the thirds then so we thought we should steer clear for a few years. Time is a great healer though.

Myself and Joyce are actually making a real weekend of it and on the Sunday are heading over to the Didcot Railway Centre. They're re-opening the Radstock Signalbox in May and as we're members of Friends of Didcot, they're having a little do to celebrate. Choo Choo!

Mike Blackstone

Mike,

Mark 18th June into your calendar if you're down this way for the 22nd annual Reading Water Fest. It’s being held at both the Kennet and Avon and also in Forbury Gardens. They’re expecting the usual mix of entertainment, traditional folk music and, of course, ‘refreshments’, if you know what I mean! We went every year from when it first started up until 2007, although I got a little carried away with the thirds then so we thought we should steer clear for a few years. Time is a great healer though.

Myself and Joyce are actually making a real weekend of it and on the Sunday are heading over to the Didcot Railway Centre. They're re-opening the Radstock Signalbox in May and as we're members of Friends of Didcot, they're having a little do to celebrate. Choo Choo!
Sounds good, but I'll be back up north by then.