• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
U-Boats would surface and use their gun to sink ships, no reason they couldn't shell the railway.
I think they had 88mm deck guns.( Thinks , must turn out my copy of Das Boot again.)

Spoonz Red E

I-boats had an app and could download anything on-line.

DB9

City of Life and Death: To me this looks like either a Chinese or Korean film about the Japanese invasion of China in the late 30's and their occupation of Nanking. Not for the faint hearted this, Tells of the brutal occupation of the City by the Japanese and their treatment of the Chinese population and a so called "Safty Zone" run by a man from Germany, Who's country was part of the Axis alliance along with Italy. Filmed in B/W with subtitles it really was a no holds bar on a piece of history where it is alledged over 800,000 may have died during the Japanese reign, I even think the Japanese have still refused to admit any guilt on the part of their army, Which the Chinese obviously peeved off about. Good is probably not the right word for this film but if you're interested in that part of modern history then i'd recommend it. 7/10

Mr Jinx

U-Boats would surface and use their gun to sink ships, no reason they couldn't shell the railway.
Seems incredibly risky. Unless they had specific intel that a train was going past at a certain time, they'd have to sit there like sitting ducks above water waiting for a train only to hit them with their 88mms from distance, which would hardly derail the train (but would do damage obv).

Steve H

Watched Heat for the first time in a while.... magnificent film almost like a spaghetti western but with cops and robbers

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
E Boats were fast small boats that could come very close to the shore, Not submarines, If you want to know how much damage they can do, Go to Slapton Sands and see the memorial to hundreds of US Serviceman practicing for D Day who died because of E Boats intercepting them
That's quite true DB. I believe the gentleman responsible for the memorial had to pay the U.S. government 500 dollars for the Sherman tank but received a 'thank you' letter from President Reagan.

DB9

That's quite true DB. I believe the gentleman responsible for the memorial had to pay the U.S. government 500 dollars for the Sherman tank but received a 'thank you' letter from President Reagan.
I remember that, A private individual having to pay for a Military Mermorial, Jeez! Mind at the time, This episode of the death of hundreds of US soldiers was hushed up and it only came to light years after if i remember correctly

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is true but it seems highly unlikely - unless you know better. Regarding a ship, I imagine they would shadow a single vessel to ascertain it wasn't armed as sometimes they were. Surfacing near a convoy would not only be dicey what with small corvettes lurking among the freighters but once again some of those ships could have guns trained outwards for such an eventuality.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remember that, A private individual having to pay for a Military Mermorial, Jeez! Mind at the time, This episode of the death of hundreds of US soldiers was hushed up and it only came to light years after if i remember correctly
But I believe he wrote a book about it and so recouped his 500 dollars and more. Yes it was hushed up, I could be wrong but I believe a RN destroyer was supposed guard the training exercise but for some reason it failed to show up. Very sad.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
My link will show you what length the British Army was prepared to go in WW1 in order to gain intelligence so it stands to reason that they would be fully prepared for a reciprocal response from the enemy.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/voices-of-the-first-world-war-trench-raids

During my time in Germany during the 60's I drove the "big wheelers" on the graveyard shift (to avoid enemy aircraft) supplying tank ammunition for the 16/5 Lancer's Conqueror and Centurion tanks so I was excused guard duty. However, guards were still posted around the clock by these people..

That's an amazing link Stuffy, thanks for pasting it up.