• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

CC

Watched Megamind at the cinema with my son on saturday morning. It's a Monsters vs Aliens style computer animated film with Will Ferrell voicing the lead role.
It was a bit of a change from normal superhero / villain movies in that the villain defeats the hero, takes over the city and then gets bored with no rival to fight against. He then creates a new hero to fight against, but the hero has other ideas and decides being bad is more fun so Megamind decides to turn good to get rid of the problem he created.
I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it; it's better than I make it sound, honest!
8.5/10

Also, worryingly, I found the lead female character attractive. Mmmmm....

mammooman

The Black Death

A young monk attempts to find a small village where rumours are spreading that people can be healed from the plague.

A bit confusing to watch as the actor who plays the young monk plays a very similar character in 'The Pillars of the Earth' which is a cracking short tv series. Medieval men on a mission. Sean Bean also plays a part, his character looking almost identical to Boromir.

Obviously didnt have the biggest of budgets, but easily watchable.

6.5/10

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I fear that because it's a Danny Boyle film, it will have a touch of the Emperor's New Clothes about it. Slumdog Millionaire was, IMHO, a whole lot of nothing and this could be the same.
Totally agree. Boyle has directed a lot of clunkers. The Beach & Sunshine were awful. Slumdog I thought didn't live up to the hype.

Poultice

Taken, yet another pile of underdeveloped poo, why do I even bother with the cack Hollywood churns out nowadays ?

Liam Neesons daughter is kidnapped in Paris and he kills half the population of Albania to get her back without suffering a scratch, yeah right !

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I like light, fluffy, easy to watch stuff. Just revisiting The Bourne Identity (2002) ...

Last edited:

Poultice

The next three days, amazingly a decent remake, not for the ADHD generation but an interesting and at times gripping thriller.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Totally agree. Boyle has directed a lot of clunkers. The Beach & Sunshine were awful. Slumdog I thought didn't live up to the hype.
I thought Sunshine was one of the best Sci-Fi films ever, aside from the last 15 minutes. Very psychological instead of the crap, Star Wars-knock off science fiction we usually get. Though I didn't rate Slumdog that highly.

I haven't seen the new one, but I have heard bad things.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh and I watched Solomon Kane. Essentially it is about a chap who does lots of bad things for profit. When Satan tries to claim his soul he goes to live in a monastery and renounces violence. He is eventually thrown out of the monastery for no particular reason and is shortly after robbed because he won't fight back. He is looked after by a family, but they are attacked and several of them killed and the daughter abducted due to Kane's non-fightingness. The patriach of the family tells Kane as he dies that Kane's soul can be saved if he rescues the daughter.

I think it is a great film actually. Nothing particularly deep or ground breaking, but really really fun. Some great fight scenes if you are into that. Lots of it is set in Devon, including the finale at Axmouth. James Purefoy carries the film as Kane, using his native Taunton accent. The late Pete Postlethwaite puts in a good stint and one of my favourite actors, Jason Flemyng pops up at the end. All in all a fun time.

8/10

Antony Moxey

In the last couple of days I've watched Toy Story, Gran Torino, A-Team and Knight and Day. All good, all will be watched again.

As for Danny Boyle, the only film of his (that I know for definite is his) that I really like is Sunshine - as Hermann says, not your normal Sci-Fi fare, although the guy with the burns spoils it a bit, but nevertheless it's a cracker of a film.

And Taken - I rather enjoyed that one too, although agree it all fell into place a little too easily. But it's not real life though, right?

general zod

Superman 2