• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Kids football.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
17/01/2010
The 11 players of Heavitree Comets eventually ran out comfortable winners against a very determined Central side that initially started with 8 players until they reached 10 after 10 minutes of play, when the later arrivals turned up.

Ironically, it wasn't until Central had 10 players that the Comets started to play their better football and the 11th minute saw them go in front with a well taken finish from Jonathan Kirk. The Comets continued to apply pressure to get another goal, but came undone when the combined pace of Central's number 9 and number 11 saw them run in on goal and although stand-in keeper EIliott Murch came out to meet the ball, he let it slip between his legs making it 1-1. With 5 minutes of the first half remaining, Kirk got his second of the day after being put through with a great pass from Charlie Jordan. In time added on at the end of the first half Aran Dare made it 3-1 to the Comets, with a great assist from Jack Challice.

With the Comets in the ascendency they started the second half strongly and within minutes were 4-1 up with a superb 25 yard left footed strike from Matt Preece (clearly Exeter City's Harley was watching the game as his second goal for City in the afternoon as a carbon copy). The scoreline at this point doesn't reflect the magnificent spirit and skill of the Central backline and goalkeeper, who was outstanding.

The Comets went on to score 3 more goals in quick succession, with Kirk getting his hat-trick, Charlie Jordan made it 6-1 before Fergus Moore made it 7-1. Central weren't done yet though, and immediately from the re-start they pulled a goal back. Murch came out to meet the first shot which he stopped, but was lobbed with the second effort from the re-bound.

Two players that stood out for the Comets on the day were Edward McKenna, who made some fantastic challenges at the back preventing Central from getting through on goal, and Dan Foster who run tirelessly throughout the game and it was his cross in the dying moments that forced the Central defender to make a mistake putting the goal into his own net making it 8-2 final score.

Comets Man of the Match: Edward McKenna

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
First game since middle of December. Was going to be a test of who had managed to keep some match fitness in the long break. Plus, this had the added excitement of a cup match (Plate actually). Despite a heavy pitch, son's team did well. Controlled the game and for once turned possession in to goals. 2-0 up at half time, could have been more as one player hit the crossbar twice whilst another rattled the upright. Much the same in the second half, and despite the opposition putting more players upfront, our goalie had little to do.

Of my son? A bit Stanno-esque. Missed a 1-1 with the goalie, but ran around at speed, so where a defender thought they had all the time in the world, would look up and fine my son about to tackle them. Unlike Stanno, my son can only do this for 20 minutes. :(

footymum

Unfortunately, Dan was poorly yesterday and couldn't play. The Dynamoes again had a heavy loss - 9-2 against Honiton. Full of drama I understand - one of our players went down with a nasty knee injury, which led to the ambulance being called. The ambulance then got stuck on the 100 Club field, resulting in about 20 people having to push it - player is fine though, thank goodness.

Hopefully, though, the tide is turning - we have 2 new players signed on with the unfortunate demise of Beacon Knights under 12's and also 2 players who have left the ECFC academy so, fingers crossed, results will soon start to improve.

Junior Grecian

I currently play for Alphington U12's and we haven't played since early December and hopefully will get a game in this weekend 8-|

Antony Moxey

Footymum: sounds like, result apart, good news all round for Dynamoes. Good, the more decent teams there are in the league the better it is for everyone. No-one benefits from double figure scorelines.

And Junior Grecian: welcome aboard mucker, there's quite a few U12s parents on this thread so to get a player on here, and from a team not already covered, is a definite bonus. Looking forward to your contributions in the coming weeks.

LammieLammieLammie

Comets had their game switched to Pinhoe Warriors ground, and managed to see the first half before I left. Went 1-0 up, which I felt was never going to be enough, but we squandered2 or 3 glorious chances, with the culprit sharing the same surname as me.

He kept going, and was rewarded in the 2nd half with the 4th goal in a 4-2 win. Still second in the table behind some team from Exmuff. :D

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A very cold day, and a trip to Aldershot Park for a game. One half of the pitch soggy the other half hard from the frost, but playable. The opposition came from the Woking area and, unusually, all Asian youngsters. Their first season as a team.

Comfortable first half playing towards the hard half of the pitch. Some neat football, some good chances, but their goalie up for the challenge. Son's team go in 2-0 up at half time.

Second half would always be about fitness, and so it proved. After an even first 15 minutes, then saw a deluge of goals with the game finishing 9-1. Son played in the second half, did one really good corner dropping the ball close to the line just over the goalie, but no one with a head there to put it in, plus 2 shots that worried the post and the crossbar.

Well done to the opposition who kept going despite the scoreline.

Next week we host them in the quarter final of the plate. Son and his mates need to guard against complacency.

Poundstretcher

My school 3rd XI have had a mixed start to the new season.

First up we hosted Papplewick, against whom we carved out chance after chance and proceeded to miss the lot of them before being stung on the counter attack twice. We then missed a penalty and only finally registered with a few minutes to go through an own goal. We headed inches wide in Fergietime but ultimately 2-1 meant we paid for our profligacy. All very frustratingly ECFC.

Six changes followed for the trip to Abingdon, and six goals justified it against an admittedly very average opposing side: the only downer being the fact that no one would put their foot through the bloody ball and we were trying to walk everything in. We then took on Wellingborough with basically the same eleven, and spend the first half being caught offside constantly, before finally figuring out what the rules meant with about five minutes until half time. Five goals followed in the eight minutes either side of the break, and two more made it 7-0 at full time - meaning we'd scored more in three games of 2010 than we did all of 2009.

We subsequently lost narrowly (1-0) to the school 2nd XI, despite our keeper heading over in stoppage time, amidst rumours of generous refereeing from the 2nd XI coach. I didn't see the incidents as I was in Sandhurst... Next week we host Colet Court (in Fulham) and Harrow. I can't see them being so straightforward as the last couple of games have been.

Junior Grecian

won 7-6 yesterday with a very late goal but in the semi-final of the cup! :)

footymum

won 7-6 yesterday with a very late goal but in the semi-final of the cup! :)
Wow, what an exciting match. What position do you play?

Good 1-1 draw for us yesterday against Brixington United. We were a lot better than the last few games. Fell behind midway through the first half due to a defensive mix-up but kept battling away and levelled through our new signing Ryan, who has come from Beacon Knights, and is a good little player. The defence did well for the rest of the match, and both sides had their chances to win it but, in the end, a draw was the correct result. Good, enjoyable game.