• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Kids football.

footymum

Ant, we have an equal number of home and away matches - last year we were like you and always seemed to be away.

Yes, Deano's girlfriend's younger brother does play for us, and what a cracking little player he is. He is our main striker and got top goalscorer and player of the year at our recent presentation night. When Deano was injured he was at all of our matches watching and the boys were thrilled when he played kickabout with them at the end.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see the fixtures have now been 'tweaked' so that everyone gets at least eight home fixtures. We are now at home to Westexe/Alphington on the second round of fixtures and thankfully are now also home to Newton/St. Martins. Didn't really fancy a trip to Newton Abbot - it's a bloody long way from Exmouth!

Mrs Herbie

Thanks Ant had a look at fixtures when i seen your post this morning got all the under 8's for little one !
But must be a problem with under 11's fixtures still waiting ?

footymum

Thought I would come on here for a bit of a rant, hoping it will make me feel better.

At our presentation evening in June everyone had a trophy, ok fine, but the player I think is a fantastic little player and never gets the recognition he deserves did not get a special award but instead the manager gave the managers' player of the year to the worst behaved, most horrid child in the whole team. He is always nasty to the other children and, when my son went into goal to help out one day, and let in 4 goals, this child shouted at him and was really nasty - consequently my son will never go in goal again. So, what message does that give out to the others - behave how you want, as long as you can play a bit you'll be player of the season!!

Then, I was told this evening that there was a tournament last Sunday - myself and half a dozen of the other mums knew nothing of this and apparently they were all called into training on Saturday morning to train for this tournament. My friend's house backs onto the pitch where we play our matches, and her little boy had to stand there watching his team train and being totally left out.

Am I over-reacting here? I know that it was only six-a-side and there are 11 or 12 players in our team so I know they couldn't pick everyone, but surely the manager could have told us the score and said look, everyone can't play but they can come and train on the Saturday if they like. This is supposed to be a team FFS!

I really feel a bit disillusioned about this team at the moment - thankfully, though, my son cares not one jot - he just wants to play football. It's me that's upset by it all. If it wasn't for the fact that all his friends play for the team also, I would seriously think about asking if he wanted another team.

Have any of you had similar experiences - my husband thinks I'm totally over-reacting, and I probably am, but it just doesn't seem right. Anyway, sorry for the long post but I had to get it off my chest!!

Anyway, back to pre-season training on Saturday - son can't wait. I must just smile and just put up with it for his sake, but boy it's hard sometimes!!

Smiverz

although im not a parent so if you want to you can ignore my comment.but if your son is happy at that team then i wouldnt suggest moving to another club! i know it can be much more stressful for the parent than the player especially at that age. my dad used to be excatly the same with me and so did my mates parents.
the thing with kids football is most of the parents take it a lot more seriously than the actual children, i suppose this is because every parent wants the best for their son/daughter. but how ever hard it is if i was you i would just bite your toungue about it.
it wasn't fair for the manager to not let the whole team train even if he couldnt pick them all!
at least your son cannot wait to getback into training and is looking forward to the new season. as hard as it is try and put it to the back of your mind, football can be a cruel game at all ages and levels! keep your chin up and make sure your son knows how much his mum supports him and enjoys watching him play!
not sure if that helps or not,sorry if it doesnt!

footymum

Thanks Smiverz - I know you're right and that is what I shall do. I wouldn't do anything to upset or embarrass my son - he loves his team, and I actually like the manager and the other parents. Just hard sometimes when you see an injustice to bite your tongue - I'm not used to that!!

You helped a lot - thanks. I shall just smile and put it behind me - it's so nice when you can come on here and rant away. Even bashing away at the keyboard made me feel better!

Smiverz

LOL. i think everyone needs a good bash at the keyboard on exeweb at some stage!

Mrs Herbie

Really feel for you footymum

My son Helped a team out on Sunday at a tournament as the manager entered 2 teams so all his boys could play, I thought that was a really nice gesture of the manager thinking of ALL his boys!

But I think a lot of the kids in the friendly league will miss out a bit this season and parents may get a bit frustrated! As it’s going to have a league so a lot of the teams will just put out their best sides.

footymum

It probably sounds like sour grapes that my son wasn't playing but it really isn't. I understand that they can't all play but to make a little boy stand at the bottom of his garden to watch his team mates training for a tournament where he was ignored really stinks IMO!!

Mrs Herbie

I think you have really taken it on the chin, Me I rant then think and I think I would have been ranting