• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just enough?

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does anyone else sometimes wish they had never started a thread on here? :S ;)
:D

All I wanted to know, was how many points WOULD have got the 7th place club us into the playoffs in those years!

Poultice

No Ant - to be in 7th place yo have to beat 8th place. This means that you need only one point more than the team in 8th - that would give you 7th place just as well as getting 10 points more. QED if 7th has 72 points and 8th has 65 points, then 66 points would actually have got you 7th. Understand? Gee - you land surveyors!
Sorry Codge seriously flawed premise there, if 7th place has now only got 66pts where did them other six go ?

Beating the 8th place team is of course the promised land, so much this year depends on the points deduction three, should they come with a rush second half then our results against them might be more important than other games, albeit 3 points is 3 points.

older-codger

Sorry Codge seriously flawed premise there, if 7th place has now only got 66pts where did them other six go ?

Beating the 8th place team is of course the promised land, so much this year depends on the points deduction three, should they come with a rush second half then our results against them might be more important than other games, albeit 3 points is 3 points.
You are makingthe mistake of presuming the 72 points as a requirement. This not necessarily the case. The requirement is 1 point more than the team in 8th. That would give 7th place irrespective of the actual number of points!

Phil Sayers

Where is Poundstretcher when you need him?

Poultice

The requirement is 1 point more than the team in 8th. That would give 7th place irrespective of the actual number of points!
No doubt,save of course the minimum requirement being scoring one more goal whilst having the same points and goal difference, but what worries me is if our six "lost" points went to the team nominally in 8th place I should miss out on my annual trip to Wemberlee.

ECFC JP

Well, after 25 games we are on 40 points. Our form averaged out over those 25 games has given us 1.6 points per match.

At season's end this would give us 73 points (73.6 to be precise).

Over the last 5 years, the team in the bottom play off place has finished with;

07/08 - 78pts
06/07 - 71pts
05/06 - 66pts
04/05 - 72pts
03/04 - 74pts

Looks like we could just do it on form to date and, with just a slight improvement during the rest of the season, we could be well up there.
That wouldn't be bad at all considering that we are in a higher league.

Borat

25/1 automatic promotion and 4/1 to get promoted (skybet)

davemcmorrow

You are makingthe mistake of presuming the 72 points as a requirement. This not necessarily the case. The requirement is 1 point more than the team in 8th. That would give 7th place irrespective of the actual number of points!
Technically right but this would mean losing two extra games over the course of the season.
If these were both against the team finishing in 8th then it would go down to goal difference.

I feel the best way is to look at the totals actually achieved by the team in 7th, not the minimum that they needed as you then have to presume points were lost against insignificant teams in the play off race.

Personally with it being so tight at the top I can feel another final day rollercoaster coming on with the final possibility being Automatic promotion, playoffs or even dare I say it, nothing.

mmmcheese

i think im right in saying - if we score 1 more goal than our opponents in the games left we'll be promoted -

Last edited:

Poultice

i think im right in saying - if we score 1 more goal than our opponents in the games left we'll be promoted -
I rather suspect not, what if we scored 1 more and conceded 50 more ?