• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Julian Tagg

Mid Devon Grecian

Don’t doubt his popularity or whether he would act honourably if someone whispered in his shell-like to go.
It all seems a bit ‘ad hoc’ to me somehow, and the phrase “who died and made you King” comes to mind.
At Board level he undoubtedly brings the most ‘football’ experience at the club given he’s been in various roles for many years.

Whatever you think of Steve Perryman, I’d wager that he and Taggy brought the club to a point where we didn’t get rolled over when it came to negotiating with agents on incoming transfers and by other clubs when selling players.

I think our current board needs him there for that experience. We could do with another of his ilk on the board IMO.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great post mate. We have stability not a super rich sugar daddy who may have decided in the present circumstances to up sticks and put his money elsewhere, leaving us.......
As long as we accept that that stability limits us in terms of finance, and the type of manager we attract..

Gordon Dale

I don't know if the academy is struggling... I'm just picking up negative vibes. But there's always a lot of negative vibes about when the teams playing so poorly.

As for Dan Green.... is this an ayahuasca dream journey, or have you got some kind of reason for thinking he's coming back here?
I have no direct knowledge Edwin. My post should be viewed as intuitive .

I've stated my view for a good reason ......that of the astute nature of The Board's appointments under Trust ownership as Team Manager PRIOR to the current appointee . When Tisdale left the club in a strop the Board moved very quickly and astutely to appoint Matt Taylor. My reaction to that appointment on the day was to purchase a season ticket!

I remain convinced that if ECFC lose poorly to Shrewsbury tonight that the Board know that GC has to go .....it's merely a question of timing . Their cleverly worded original statement on the matter demonstrates that. Subsequent to which GC has made their decision much easier in the wake of his court case yesterday during which it was acknowledged that he would not be able to fully perform his duties as Team Manager in the event of a driving ban. Apart from that it surely cannot be right for a Family Orientated Community Focused club to be seen to have a Team Manager that is a serial offender when it comes to speeding on our roads. What example does that set to our young supporters leave alone Academy Players ? Apart from demonstrating a clear lack of self control. Speeding kills. The impact of the death of a loved one directly caused by a speeding motorist is devastating on a family. The court rightly viewed GC's series of transgressions seriously. Board has to be seen to take action .....and I feel sure that under pressure from fans and ultimately The Trust they will.

If my intuition o this occasion proves to be well founded then I feel sure that under Dan Green's tutelage ECFC will not slide into oblivion like our poor neighbours down the road . ...Torquay Utd sit currently 12th in Conference South having lost 8 matches with a goal difference of 29 for and 28 against > An absolute horror show.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have no direct knowledge Edwin. My post should be viewed as intuitive .

I've stated my view for a good reason ......that of the astute nature of The Board's appointments under Trust ownership as Team Manager PRIOR to the current appointee . When Tisdale left the club in a strop the Board moved very quickly and astutely to appoint Matt Taylor. My reaction to that appointment on the day was to purchase a season ticket!
Well, you've better intuition than me... I was a bit disappointed when we went with Taylor. Happy to be wrong. One thing to have intuition that GC will be gone soon (surely), another to have quite a specific set of events go down (seems unlikely). Would be happy with that though.

GrecianInWales

As long as we accept that that stability limits us in terms of finance, and the type of manager we attract..
I’m ok with that. We make slow and steady progress. I’d rather that than taking a moonshot with far more risk than reward.

GrecianInWales

You make some very good points. I’ve largely been proud of our Trust model but the current situation worries me about the fault lines that exist. Better than a dodgy owner for sure, but we need
to strive for improvement and not just be glad that we have survived (which is the position of some). There’s a constant under current about lack of ambition amongst the progressives and I feel we need some fresh leadership to take the club forward and appeal to fans of the future.
I think we got a bit complacent last time we got into L1 as well. I think the question becomes how do we push on and stabilise at this level rather than congratulate ourselves on promotion.

As I say, I think Caldwell was part of the plan to do better but it hasn’t worked out. And very few companies or people like to admit they’re wrong…

Somebody else on here said Taggy’s strength is in negotiating with clubs, which I’ve heard a lot of elsewhere. Plus he’s rolled with a lot of the good and bad times from the past 20 years and that’s very valuable especially when the Trust board makeup often changes. I don’t think you can pin the current situation on one person though. He just happens to be the most visible.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m ok with that. We make slow and steady progress. I’d rather that than taking a moonshot with far more risk than reward.
You are? Let's see who the next manager is.

GrecianInWales

FYI, if edwin_price, Grecian Max, and GrecianInWales were to stand for election to the Trust board I'd vote for all three of them without a moment's hesitation. Apppreciate Max is moving to Mexico, and GIW is, I believe, Down Under, so this might be easier said than done, but wonder if Edwin could have his arm twisted to stand for election in 2024[?].
Mate, can you imagine the grief here if the Trust had somebody on the board in Oz 🤣

In all seriousness, between family, work and a few other things I really would struggle for time. I think that probably is one reason why we have the makeup on the board we do. We have some very experienced fans in the corporate world, but location + time to commit is tricky, to say the least.

ECFC is a big part of my life, but so is my career and family, and something would have to give.

That said, I’d be happy to do some consultancy during quieter periods.

GrecianInWales

You are? Let's see who the next manager is.
Yep. Providing we’re making the right decisions.

If we can set ourselves up for success in the next phase each time, it’s doable. If we went up to the Championship I’d want us to at least have a fighting chance of staying up. That may mean taking 5 years rather than 1 but if it means the club is still here in 10 years rather than crashing and burning after 2, then yes, this is how I’d approach it.