• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Judgement day is upon us. The official Blackpool v ECFC match day thread

There are so many more things to be ****ed off about today rather than how many of our fans should have been there or who went for a hot dog on the 36th minute.

Its a big game so that will always bring in the extras. They have every right to be there so who cares.

Exehausted

Just back and so so frustrated. Was sure we would win and even more sure at half time as we murdered them first half.

Second half was awful and Watkins was so poor today but it just wasnt his day, he still has so much talent.

Gotta hand it to Gary Bowyer, he saw the Wheeler diagonal was killing them so he got them to press higher to stop the ball and mark Wheeler.

Big big opportunity missed today. My main complaint was Tisdale being outfoxed again. He didnt react to their changes and should have moved Wheeler over the other side and change the style but he didnt react and just made like for like changes. Poor if you ask me.
You've just written more or less word for word what I was going to write. At half time I was sure we were going to win and after such a slow start to the first half I assumed that they would be sent out to get right at them for the second half. Totally mystified as to why we were so poor in the second half. I thought the only two who performed to the level that they have been at this season was Woodman and Wheeler. Brown's injury was a big blow, but I though Sweeney would be a good sub for him but he never seemed to get the pace of the game. I am a real geek when it comes to time added on and I watch the time avidly. I said he needs to add on six minutes at the end of the first half, but it'll only be two. Nope and he did the same at the end of the match. Only trouble was if he had added on 55 minutes I still don't think it would have been enough time for us! Oh well, a great day out spoiled by 51 minutes of football

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Only a slight consolation for me being based where I am are some more handy away days next season with Chesterfield just a few minutes away from me coming down, Lincoln going up, Mansfield again then Grimsby and Port Vale coming down just over the tops of the Peak District so I guess if i'm to look on a bright side it's more games for me to get to next season.

Without Watkins we would have had a very poor season, when he leaves you will see how much we have relied on him this season.

I can see Wheeler leaving this summer as well, Tisdale will then have to really earn his money.
Was Watkins playing at the start of the season when we were rubbish? I don't think he is our best player or anywhere near as good as Wheeler , Reid, Mcalinden or even Grant. He gives the ball away far too often and tries too much. He is certainly not Championship or League 1 level at the moment . He does do some great things too but honestly I don't think we would miss him as much as other players .

Steve H

Well the day out was worse than Cambridge but better than Morecambe (that one really hurt)

Fully agree that a smaller neutral ground would be a better option.....

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well I enjoyed the day. We lost, we're poor, big deal. We're still a league club so this wasn't even remotely close to the Morecambe Wembley result. Of course we'd rather we won today, but it's hardly the end of the world despite what many of the hysterics on here might have you believe.

Lighten up, it's only football, it's not like someone's shot your dog is it?

iscalad

Just got back, can't be arsed to read through the thread. We just weren't good enough on the day. Ollie must have knocked a couple of million from his value. Troy was our best player till he got injured. Rest of the team huffed and puffed witout a lot of purpose. Still as Mr Moxey says we are still in the League.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well I enjoyed the day. We lost, we're poor, big deal. We're still a league club so this wasn't even remotely close to the Morecambe Wembley result. Of course we'd rather we won today, but it's hardly the end of the world despite what many of the hysterics on here might have you believe.

Lighten up, it's only football, it's not like someone's shot your dog is it?
Agree to a certain degree. Morecambe was a real sickener. Today Blackpool were no great shakes and it was the nature of the loss and our performance that left a nasty taste in my mouth.

denzel

Poor today and no complaints about the result.

Thought our fans were great, shaking hands with stewards on the way out, many stayed to applaud at the end, and we made our voices heard.

Odds are always against you in the playoffs, but this sets us up well for next season which will hopefully be just as eventful

grecIAN Harris

I thought we deserved a bit more than what we got in the first half and probably would have got it had people taken a bit more responsibilty in having a shot instead of trying to beat the extra man. Second half we just didn't show up. I think Tis could have done a lot worse than to have put McAlinden on instead of Reid and used his pace to stretch the Blackpool back four over the top and around the back of them. I've heard about people whining about Lloyd James being the worst player on the pitch for City. He might not have been the best but he certainly wasn't the worst. Unfortunately that accolade goes to our boy wonder, young Mr Watkins closely followed the expectantly inept Joel Grant. Quite how he managed to start in front of Lee Holmes simply amazes me. Even if Holmes had only lasted an hour he would have started with the pace of the game and given the Blackpool right back a much tougher afternoon. The consolation as fans, a number of relatively close away games to go next season. Yeovil, Cheltenham, FGR, Swindon and Newport.