• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Josh Key...

StudentGrecian

I’ve been in over in Swansea recently.
It’s being fairly widely reported there that Swansea City are suing their former Manager, Russell Martin.
I recall there being a delay in his move to Southampton with some of his coaching team last summer whilst compensation was being discussed.
And although he was eventually released from his Swans’ contract their payment still hasn’t been resolved.
Apparently it rests on when Southampton made their approach for him as the amount due is different depending on whether he left for a Premier League club or another Championship one.
And around the time of those discussions Saints were of course relegated from the former to the latter.
Maybe they need or want to wait until they see if they get a further chunk of money from that process before engaging over what they owe for taking Josh?
Although you’d imagine the timescale for the Josh thing would be being determined by whoever the independent arbiters are, not either of the two clubs involved.
It's madness that we are going to go a full season without this being decided. Ampadu's was decided in the following April, so hopefully we are close to answer.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can we also sue for the length of time it is taking?

Boyo

Given that Key has stepped up to the Championship with ease, and now has a season under his belt could mean that the tribunal delay is beneficial to us. It's probably not a factor that should be considered by the panel, but unconsciously a player playing regularly has to be worth more to those sitting on the panel, compared to a player who struggled to make an impact.

tom_ecfc

Can we also sue for the length of time it is taking?
Hurry up with the decision Sue! 😉

StudentGrecian

Given that Key has stepped up to the Championship with ease, and now has a season under his belt could mean that the tribunal delay is beneficial to us. It's probably not a factor that should be considered by the panel, but unconsciously a player playing regularly has to be worth more to those sitting on the panel, compared to a player who struggled to make an impact.
Didn't really help us with Ethan. He had a few decent cup games and an international cap under his belt in the year it took to decide and we only got £850,000 as the initial transfer fee, which was laughable.

The most important thing as always is not the lump sum, which is always under the players real value, but it will be the sell on fee they decide to include that makes the real difference.

Boyo

Didn't really help us with Ethan. He had a few decent cup games and an international cap under his belt in the year it took to decide and we only got £850,000 as the initial transfer fee, which was laughable.

The most important thing as always is not the lump sum, which is always under the players real value, but it will be the sell on fee they decide to include that makes the real difference.
The initial fee for 16 year old Ampadu appeared low at the time, but with the sell-on clause plus the other significant add-ons, it feels like we have done pretty well from that deal. Do we know what the total amount received was?

For Key however, I'd rather a big upfront fee, as realistically I think he's probably reached his ceiling in terms of climbing the football ladder and he's already 24.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The initial fee for 16 year old Ampadu appeared low at the time, but with the sell-on clause plus the other significant add-ons, it feels like we have done pretty well from that deal. Do we know what the total amount received was?

For Key however, I'd rather a big upfront fee, as realistically I think he's probably reached his ceiling in terms of climbing the football ladder and he's already 24.
For Ampadu the knowns as 1.3m up front plus 1.4m as the 20% of the sale to Leeds. That's £2.7m

The unknowns (to me!) are the 20% profit on loan fees (ie 20% of loan fees above £1.3m, we definitely got payments for this) AND what we got for Ethan's limited further appearances for Chelsea post Tribunal.

Plus potentially 20% of the £3m add ons to the Chelsea-Leeds deal and 0f any sell on

I make that about £3m and counting.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
For Ampadu the knowns as 1.3m up front plus 1.4m as the 20% of the sale to Leeds. That's £2.7m

The unknowns (to me!) are the 20% profit on loan fees (ie 20% of loan fees above £1.3m, we definitely got payments for this) AND what we got for Ethan's limited further appearances for Chelsea post Tribunal.

Plus potentially 20% of the £3m add ons to the Chelsea-Leeds deal and 0f any sell on

I make that about £3m and counting.
And the 20% of Chelsea's share of any future sale assuming there is one

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So the season has ended, the next transfer window is open (or about to open) and still no word on a fee for Josh. I know that Gary's budget for next season was set last January but you'd think it might still be helpful to know how much compensation is coming our way.

tom_ecfc

So the season has ended, the next transfer window is open (or about to open) and still no word on a fee for Josh. I know that Gary's budget for next season was set last January but you'd think it might still be helpful to know how much compensation is coming our way.
The dinosaur FA at its finest!