• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jordan Storey joins Preston

CWH-NYC_

Been offline for a few days, blindsided by that news! I was so looking forward to seeing him progress further with us but as the majority have stated, we have no real choice in the matter and it and if it encourages others to come and join us over some other clubs, so much the better.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
So what has changed?

I can fully understand that we shouldn’t stand in Storeys way as a Championship club has come calling, but at the equivalent (or later) stage when Championship clubs came in for Grimes he signed a new contract with us, and when Brentford offered 750k for Ollie Watkins he publicly stated he wanted to get 50-60 games with us under his belt before moving upwards.both stayed for another season and in each case the fee went up by a million or so...

ExeterCityLad

So what has changed?

I can fully understand that we shouldn’t stand in Storeys way as a Championship club has come calling, but at the equivalent (or later) stage when Championship clubs came in for Grimes he signed a new contract with us, and when Brentford offered 750k for Ollie Watkins he publicly stated he wanted to get 50-60 games with us under his belt before moving upwards.both stayed for another season and in each case the fee went up by a million or so...
The fact that Storey wanted to increase his wage by about 10 fold and wants to play Championship football next year.

triumph

Listening to Talk Sport radio (Premiership football radio) Preston sold a CB to Cardiff hence the move for Storey I presume.

Zi Zou

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/plymouth-argyle-face-task-turning-1680108

To be fair to us, we produce. Can we get Simon Hayward back at club?

Bittners a Legend

So what has changed?

Perhaps Matt Taylor saw Troy Brown and JMT as his favoured centre back pairing? It isn't impossible to imagine Storey could have started the season on the bench for us. If it really was a "substantial" offer then I can see why the club would cash in now with him. Perhaps offered a different (lower) value to us on the pitch than Grimes or Watkins did at a similar point in time. Perhaps Storey just wanted the money now.

STURTZ

How ironic that Ben Purrington, their only local boy made good is an Exeter lad. How much better he might have been if he'd come to us!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
So what has changed?

Different players, different clubs involved with different managers offering different money and different chances of first team football, different manager here offering different money and different chances of first team football... what's the same would be an equally valid question. Young player with us showing promise... bigger clubs interested. Not all players will follow exactly the same path, will they? Doesn't necessarily mean a fundamental shift in club policy.

IndoMike

So what has changed?

Now that agents are sniffing around our club it becomes increasingly difficult to keep good players. I'm afraid our academy players will now become targets of and might be snatched away by clubs in the top 2 divisions before playing many games for City. Since we cannot offer long-term contracts to our youngsters we are caught between a rock and a hard place. God help us if we have to go to the tribunal again. Premiership v Div 2 club -who gets the best deal?

Pete Martin (CTID)

I'm afraid our academy players will now become targets of and might be snatched away by clubs in the top 2 divisions before playing many games for City.
Of course exactly that happened with Sean Goss some time before our academy had acquired the reputation it now has.

Last edited: