• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jordan Moore Taylor

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Could be worse, we could be Argyle with no manager and about 10 outfield players! :D

oxford don

Okay I get your idea about having a slightly lesser player brought in, but still would put it down my list of priorities.

In the end, if they play three at the back, Davies will be one of your wing-back options, in the end Butterfield, Oakley and Mccallister or even Woodman could fill in in one of those positions. People maybe right that we shouldn't have kept all these players, plus CRL and Tllson, but they're here now, I think between them that's enough cover.

I would rather we pay big wages to Ribs, that other CH and a target-man, again I feel all else is a bit secondary to those three. The fact is if we pay decent wages for those, plus Manny, plus the keeper and signing up Holmes, we've already replaced some that have gone, plus an addition with the the keeper. In the end unlike the start of last year we will have some wiggle room to get a decent player in on loan, and pay their wages if injury disaster hits. This seems a better strategy then just assuming defenders will be injured, when who knows Wheeler, Holmes and Nicholls could all get injured in the early weeks of the season.

Two things that hopefully will be clear soon is how bad this injury is and whether Ribs stays here, and I doubt Tis will be doing much until he knows that/

I still think we need to sign a proper 6ft plus blood and guts centre half who has a big gob even if little skill.. This would enable Ribs if and when he signs to play in his best position. We all know what his capabilities are and that he struggles against the main target man in each of the opponents team (but looking at the size of some of them who wouldn't.) He's not a natural centre back and is wasted there in my opinion. Its a bit like asking Wayne Rooney to play full back, he could doubtless make a good fist of it but would he be comfortable. ?

Problem is not one of the Defenders we have available to play Centre back is really tall enough, figuratively speaking the defence is a team of midgets Ribs being the tallest at 5/11. Jack Deaman from Cheltenham is transfer listed hes 6ft 3ins. I've seen him play once and he's capable. Deaman made his Football League debut on 4 October, playing on the right of a back three against what the local newspaper's match report called "two of League Two’s most dangerous front players", AFC Wimbledon's Adebayo Akinfenwa and Matt Tubbs. The match ended 1–1, Deaman was man of the match,[19] and manager Mark Yates described his performance as outstanding.

Hopefully JMT's injury is not too serious and the club will pull there fingers out and get Ribeiro signed.. It obvious to me that they haven't yet matched any other offers he may of had and the ball is firmly in their court. I just hope its resolved one way or the other before not too long so we can restructure the back four if we have to.

oxford don

Could be worse, we could be Argyle with no manager and about 10 outfield players! :D
yes indeed.... every cloud has a silver lining (rofl)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have always tended to think that we needed more height in the team but Barcelona seem to manage ok. From what I can see their only player over 6 foot is Pique who has come a long way since marking Steve Flack back in 2005.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Hopefully trying to play like Barcelona isn't what we are aiming for next season.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully trying to play like Barcelona isn't what we are aiming for next season.
Unless we succeed!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Unless we succeed!
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, perhaps emulating the 1990 team or one of tisdale's promoted ones would be a better option?

Pobbop

In the end I would love to play a more technical game with ball-players in every position, and no tall men up-front or at the back, but the reality is we've been out-muscled in this league far too many times.

Even the succesful teams that play better football in this division have a couple of bruisers, just the way of it, I'm afraid.

Grecian2K

Pique who has come a long way since marking Steve Flack back in 2005.
Don't be silly. It was that experience that made him the player he is today! ;)

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
In the end I would love to play a more technical game with ball-players in every position, and no tall men up-front or at the back, but the reality is we've been out-muscled in this league far too many times.

Even the succesful teams that play better football in this division have a couple of bruisers, just the way of it, I'm afraid.
100%

2 big centre halfs is a must at league 2 level.