• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jon Venables

I think Will Self has got the whole Venables issue pretty much spot on - if you can't be bothered to watch it all, forward it on to 8 mins and 30 secs in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5StCxzD-jQ

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
In fairness, I struggle to think of a situation in which this could occur. My daughter is the same age as Bulger was, and when we are out she is in my sight at all times.

Would I be devastated? A bit of an understatement.

Would I be full of hatred for the perpetrators? Yes, of course.

Would I wish for them to serve their time in prison, only to then be hounded by an officially sanctioned witch-hunt? No.
Don't believe you Jase, sorry. We all do our very best for our kids, but there's always a split second when you're doing something else - looking in the shop window, at the cash machine, arguing with the missus over what's for tea that night. You just can't keep your eye on them ALL the time, much as you think you do, and much as you hope you do.

As for your third 'would I wish', well, I guess unless it happens you won't ever really know the answer to that one.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
As for your third 'would I wish', well, I guess unless it happens you won't ever really know the answer to that one.
By that rationale then neither you nor Heathy would have any idea. TBH I fail to see how Heathy being a parent qualifies him any more than me for knowing what he'd do in that situation.

Antony Moxey

I agree, so the idea that any 'inherent evil' should just be killed off (regardless of circumstances, age of perpetrators, final 'result' of the crime) is, in my humblest opinion, wrong.
I never said that either, however, in Venables' and Thomson's case they WERE guilty, so are deserving of the death penalty.

Antony Moxey

By that rationale then neither you nor Heathy would have any idea.
I can't speak for Heathy, but right now, and since the case was originally reported, I would happily advocate the death penalty for them. Had that been one of mine led away, I think I can be quite sure that I wouldn't be sat here now in a more forgiving frame of mind.

Poultice

TBH I fail to see how Heathy being a parent qualifies him any more than me for knowing what he'd do in that situation.
Oh Jan, if you killed one of my kids I would find you, kill you as painfully as I could manage, then happily serve out the rest of my life behind bars.

If you haven't got them you can have no concept of what it feels like.

Admittedly some people have the love of God in their hearts and can forgive, I will bet you the biggest bag of marbles in the world to a wad of used bog paper that Heathy aint one of them.

Poultice

I do not have any kids (as far as I am aware), so I presume that my opinion is totally invalid in your parental eyes anyway.
Totally, jog on.

heathy1

By that rationale then neither you nor Heathy would have any idea. TBH I fail to see how Heathy being a parent qualifies him any more than me for knowing what he'd do in that situation.
You fail to see? WTF?? Ive got kids you havent! I see it through how i'd react if it were my kids who I see everyday! So I do know how i'd react in that situation, you wouldnt because you dont have kids and until the day you look at them at the same age James Bulger was then your opinion is completely irrelevant

Poultice

What about those two lads from Doncaster (I think) that nearly finished the job, but the child involved lived.

What should happen to them?

P.S. They were 11 and 12
Bullet in the head.

heathy1

Oh Jan, if you killed one of my kids I would find you, kill you as painfully as I could manage, then happily serve out the rest of my life behind bars.

If you haven't got them you can have no concept of what it feels like.

Admittedly some people have the love of God in their hearts and can forgive, I will bet you the biggest bag of marbles in the world to a wad of used bog paper that Heathy aint one of them.
Too true ********, and I can bet that 99.9% of all parents would feel the same no matter how liberal they were! Lets just hope no one ever has to go through it on here and test that so called 'forgiving mentality'!