• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Joey Barton

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, I'm now following. Total box office. Getting up the very noses of people that imo fully deserve it.

Barton wouldn't have dared do it last year, but he can sense the headwinds.

2024 is the year of the woke fightback.
Do you mean the woke fighting back or people fighting back from the woke ideas?

Number13

The interesting bit is that it has got people talking about the issue - not sure that was Joey's intention or not tho

In the last few years, whether you buy into the whole "woke" thing or not, or whether you worry the BBC is too "left wing" or not, there has been a shift in punditry (and indeed in all media but we're just talking sport here) where you just know people have the job because they "tick a box". Everyone knows this is what happened with, for example, Soccer Saturday, and why its not nearly so good now once the people with years of knowledge and experience were removed for the younger "more diverse" crowd. As with everything, you'll get good and bad and some of it is personal opinion, but if only we could just get the best person for the job actually doing it, we'd all see a better product.....

CityTillIDie

He was and still is a complete ****

Mr Jinx

The interesting bit is that it has got people talking about the issue - not sure that was Joey's intention or not tho
And I think that's why he's doing it.

Given that no-one gets cancelled on X (formerly Twitter) any more, you will always now have a voice. A couple of years ago, he'd have been taken down faster than you could say "Bye bye".

The Guardian and its readers are probably up in arms. The Mail on the other hand is at an interesting juncture. It first put out articles criticising Barton, but then I think they read the comments below the line (which were very much in agreement with Barton). Funnily enough, their next article on it wasn't critical of Barton at all.

GB News & Talk TV will have Barton on in a flash (I saw his interview by Piers Morgan a couple of weeks ago). And given where GB News viewing figures now are, he's getting more oxygen than ever.

And so we're now all talking about it. Not that I agree with everything that Barton has said, but I think it's great the boot is on the other foot and the other side of the argument is at least being heard.

Do you mean the woke fighting back or people fighting back from the woke ideas?
Very much the latter.

Spoonz Red E

And I think that's why he's doing it.

Given that no-one gets cancelled on X (formerly Twitter) any more, you will always now have a voice. A couple of years ago, he'd have been taken down faster than you could say "Bye bye".

The Guardian and its readers are probably up in arms. The Mail on the other hand is at an interesting juncture. It first put out articles criticising Barton, but then I think they read the comments below the line (which were very much in agreement with Barton). Funnily enough, their next article on it wasn't critical of Barton at all.

GB News & Talk TV will have Barton on in a flash (I saw his interview by Piers Morgan a couple of weeks ago). And given where GB News viewing figures now are, he's getting more oxygen than ever.

And so we're now all talking about it. Not that I agree with everything that Barton has said, but I think it's great the boot is on the other foot and the other side of the argument is at least being heard.

Very much the latter.
Yeah.

It's only the last couple of weeks I've been hearing about this 'anti-woke' thing.
Couldn't find it anywhere before ... :cool:

Does anyone think he'll get much of a sniff at a League manager's job again though after this? I don't and therefore can't see it as much more than he's bored, or has decided he doesn't care about a career in lower EFL management anymore and would rather to speak his mind.

Personally can't see it as even the women who founded HerGameToo out of Bristol Rovers seemed to take offence at him even though he (condescendingly IMO) praised them and the scheme in his interview with Piers.

Mr Jinx

Does anyone think he'll get much of a sniff at a League manager's job again though after this?
I'm thinking he'd have already factored that in. He probably already realised he wasn't going to ever get hired again and so thought what have I got to lose. I expect he'll ll go down the Russell Brand route; creating his own YouTube/x channel and talking about all things footie from a very laddish, unfiltered perspective. There's a large, ready & waiting audience.

Pobbop

Yeah.

It's only the last couple of weeks I've been hearing about this 'anti-woke' thing.
Couldn't find it anywhere before ... :cool:
Indeed, basically thereare major parties all over the orld were anti-woke is basically their only policy, it's not some kinda radical view it's just establishment parties still wanting the status quo.

#Barton is a poisonous individual, so of course he's getting traction with all the myriad of right wing outlets, which includes twitter now. it's very predictable, and the people who defend him are even more predictable.

Last edited:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Firstly Barton is an utter *****, not only in what he is saying, but also in how he is saying it. Doesn't like something (Specifically woman in this case, maybe colour with Alex Scott?), so just starts shouting woke at things and then saying indefensible things.

I do tend not to comment on these things normally as prefer to not give nutjobs oxygen, but I do want to comment on Barton.

Now some of this discussion around Pundits is subjective and a matter of personal opinion. I personally think Alex Scott is where she is because she deserves to be, she has worked hard and is a good presenter. The decline in viewership is shows like Football focus, Soccer Saturday, Final score is down to a myriad of reasons, the most principal being the plethora of live football available and VPN access, not some woke conspiracy that some would have you believe. Soccer Saturday is still a good show as is football focus, but people tend to watch less of this style of programme. I am in this section, I watch a lot less tv in general. The younger generations aren't fussed on these magazine style shows like the previous generation where (Or specifically we had nothing else to watch or do). Grandstand being a good example, I loved Grandstand, but I wouldn't watch it now and the younger generation wouldn't either.

A general discussion about he standard of punditry in general is a completely valid one, but woman aren't the problem with that in any way, its a general discussion, there are loads of really poor pundits both Male and Female. Lucy Ward and Eni Aluko are good pundits imho, Not only has Barton aimed at the worse examples to prove his point, he has also put his viewpoint across like an utter *****, especially comparing a football pundit whether male or female to serial murderers . I Would much rather listen to them than Alan Shearer. Bianca Westwood was fantastic on Soccer Saturday. I think tfemalehere is a lesser standard of punditry overall these days, that is a fair and valid discussion point, but a friend of mine whom is an Argyle fan says on Argyle TV they have a pundit whom comes in from the Uni is comfortably their best pundit they have on it, as he actually knows what he is talking about. Suppose these days a lot of ex footballers don't actually understand football that well, don't really understand why they did certain things etc.

I have always like Ian Wright, if he was promoted into MOTD today, people would be shouting woke at him wouldn't they.

DB9