• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jim Iley RIP

Grecian68

Yes...Remember it well,that was a real sickener..That was also the first season that Preston played on a plastic pitch(not to be confused with the high quality synthetic pitches available now)
If i remember correctly, Keith Viney scored a cracker which probably wouldn't have happened if not for the bounce of the plastic pitch.
Also, wasn't their forward that scored the winner called John Thomas?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
If i remember correctly, Keith Viney scored a cracker which probably wouldn't have happened if not for the bounce of the plastic pitch.
Also, wasn't their forward that scored the winner called John Thomas?
Osher Williams scored the last minute winner for Preston(he had played a few games on loan for the Grecians the season before iirc)...Yep Viney’s goal in front of the small Grecian faithful was a cracker.

malcolms

I let the club know yesterday of his passing, his name might not mean a lot to the youngsters but does for those of us of a certain age.
Seems they haven't picked up on it yet, certainly not on the main site as of 12.45

STURTZ

I let the club know yesterday of his passing, his name might not mean a lot to the youngsters but does for those of us of a certain age.
Remember him playing for Peterborough against us, quite a star with a high level career behind him. One of those players who was always bald!

Spoonz Red E

Grecian2K

Remember him playing for Peterborough against us, quite a star with a high level career behind him. One of those players who was always bald!
Used to get his "hair product" from Arnold Mitchell, didn't he?

Remember him also from one of those football sticker books during the mid-60s when he was with the barcodes. Seemed to be one of the rarest in the sticker packs I recall...it was always "Iley Rated" if you found one.
(Sorry, I'll get my coat :( )

Seriously though … sad news. Only with us for a while, but I always thought he was somewhat shabbily treated during his time here.

PeteUSA

Being the judge of keepers that I know most people understand me to be, I think it'll be agreed that the likeable Iley made his biggest mistake by signing the hapless Jeff Wood from Colchester. He played 33 games before being replaced by the equally poor Lee Smelt, from Edmonton! (Yes, they had a team!) Despite outfield players like Martyn Rogers, Keith Viney, Grahm Kirkup, Danny O'Shea, Nicky Marker, Jim McNichol, Ray Pratt, Forbes Phillipson-Masters, Steve Harrower, Martin Ling, and an in form Trevor Morgan? I firmly do believe his choice of keepers was the sole reason they did so badly.

malcolms

An acknowledgement on the main site rather than social media would have been more appropriate in my opinion.

Saint James

Being the judge of keepers that I know most people understand me to be.
I really don't believe anyone could and should turn a thread about the death of a former City Manager into a narcissistic self obsession. End of comment.

Jim Iley did the best he could in extremely testing times for our club.

PeteUSA

I really don't believe anyone could and should turn a thread about the death of a former City Manager into a narcissistic self obsession. End of comment.
Okay, it looks like the first part of my post was taken really seriously, by one of the people I respect the most involved at the club? It seems I cant put a light hearted 'self mocking' comment at the beginning of a post without it being interpreted as me being accused of "narcissistic self obsession"? Okay Tony, I'll be honest; I wouldnt care if one or two others got (predictably) upset, but I'm truly upset that it affected you so badly, I really am.

I honestly apologise unreservedly for the way it appears you have interpreted my comment. There's not a lot more I can say. The intention was to point out some of the quality players Jim had at his disposable, yet chose to use one of the worst keepers in the clubs history (apart perhaps than Jimmy Boag) IMHO. Hopefully not, but unfortunately, I suspect that your interpretation will be further seized upon.

RIP: Jim. Thank you for your efforts. Thats all I can say.