• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jay Stansfield

budegrecian

They don't poach them. Poaching is illegal and Fulham have done nothing illegal. Yes our academy spends time and effort and money on developing players who on occasion, will leave before playing a first team game, and thus not bringing us the money we would have hoped. You win some you lose some and I understand it perfectly thank you
No nothing illegal just immoral.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're not 'the opposite of defeatist' if you accept a system which results in the best young players being snapped up by top clubs for a fraction of their (obvious) value. At all. In fact 'defeatist' is by far the most appropriate word for your attitude.
What a load of nonsense. I disagree with you. It doesn't make me defeatist.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
No nothing illegal just immoral.
So do you think Fulham should wait a couple more years and then try and sign Stansfield for a lot more money to be moral? and risk not signing him at all because someone else comes sniffing. They took him early, there was no guarantee he'd be succesful.

I don't recall people being so hacked off when man utd took Goss.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
In terms of having players 'poached', there are two types of league 2 club. Ones who's best young players leave as soon as possible and ones who never have any players good enough. We're the former, but were the latter for a long time. The former is better. I'd advocate for fairer rules on compensation, but there seems to be a lot of moaning and toy throwing about it.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think they deserve credit for the opportunity and exposure that they have given him to the big time at such a young age. He made his debut in the 4th round of the fa cup against Aston Villa. We simply can't offer him those opportunities that Fulham can. He's moved to a bigger club and he's excelling. Good luck to the lad. I hope he goes to the very top and I hold no bitterness towards himself, Fulham or any other club he decides to join.
I hold no bitterness either snoop, I made that clear earlier, but I am hacked off at a system that fails to protect the interests of smaller lower league clubs who dont have the financial clout to resist raiders like Fulham. Yes, good luck to the lad but what about significant compensation or potential sell on clauses should a player make it really big.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hold no bitterness either snoop, I made that clear earlier, but I am hacked off at a system that fails to protect the interests of smaller lower league clubs who dont have the financial clout to resist raiders like Fulham. Yes, good luck to the lad but what about significant compensation or potential sell on clauses should a player make it really big.
The problem with the compensation is it focuses on the investment in that player. The very best players are windfall players. The majority of investment goes into players who don't make it. If the windfalls leave for cost price then we're deep out of pocket. I don't know how we fix the system. No one seems to put forward workable policies.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In terms of having players 'poached', there are two types of league 2 club. Ones who's best young players leave as soon as possible and ones who never have any players good enough. We're the former, but were the latter for a long time. The former is better. I'd advocate for fairer rules on compensation, but there seems to be a lot of moaning and toy throwing about it.
Largely agree with this; it's worth remembering that since the summer of 2017 we've received about 4 millions pounds in transfer fees and compensation for former academy players; for all that we would have liked to have received more that still seems a pretty impressive amout of money.

The one thing I don't understand is why other clubs seem to have been able to get their star players (Branthwaite at Carlisle, Bellingham at Birmingham, Matheson at Rochdale) to stay a bit longer than Stansfield and Ampadu did with us - though I see the first of these has just been sold and the second is being heavily linked with a move in this window,

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Largely agree with this; it's worth remembering that since the summer of 2017 we've received about 4 millions pounds in transfer fees and compensation for former academy players; for all that we would have liked to have received more that still seems a pretty impressive amout of money.

The one thing I don't understand is why other clubs seem to have been able to get their star players (Branthwaite at Carlisle, Bellingham at Birmingham, Matheson at Rochdale) to stay a bit longer than Stansfield and Ampadu did with us - though I see the first of these has just been sold and the second is being heavily linked with a move in this window,
System is unfair, but we're still the best in the division (of all time) at monetizing our youth system... By a distance. Let's put things in perspective... The issue is we've a production line of talent unheard if for a club our size, apart from maybe Crewe 10 or 15 years ago... We're doing well out of it, but we should be doing even better.

geoffwp

The problem with the compensation is it focuses on the investment in that player. The very best players are windfall players. The majority of investment goes into players who don't make it. If the windfalls leave for cost price then we're deep out of pocket. I don't know how we fix the system. No one seems to put forward workable policies.
I dont believe the EFL are interested in altering the system to make it more equitable because they fear the reaction they might get from the premiershit.

Rosencrantz

You don't know though if they were on other clubs radars before they signed though. Bellingham hasn't signed a pro contract yet as he is still 16 but Birmingham will be desperate for him to sign although a scholarship gives them some protection. Branthwaite seems to have come to people's attention recently and for a reported £750k plus add ons, you could equate to Jordan Storey. Rochdale have done well to get Matheson on a three year deal, but we had Sparkes on a pro deal asap also and have renewed since he got in the first team.

It seems a matter of timing of when these players come to attention of the higher clubs to make a move. I think only Bellingham has been on teams radar for a while as he has been part of England's set up for a while. Matheson only recently, like Jay.

If we get recognised as having a good academy, we will always lose a few early, especially if they get international recognition like Ethan and Ben Chrisene. But the players that do come through "unnoticed" like Grimes, Watkins, Storey, Sparkes etc will get us the cash until (if ever 🙄) the compensation gets more realistic in terms of potential add ons. If Ethan plays 100 times for Chelsea he's worth more than £2.5m.