• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jamie Mackie goes to QPR

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Source please, or have you been playing too much FM?
John O'shea was on £85k a week at Manure, no agent worth his salt would let their player go to a Chump club without a monster promo bonus in his contract, what have the clubs got to lose ? QPR's T/O might have been 20 mill in the Chump, today it is 60 plus, Mackie probably got between £5k and £8k a week when he signed, his promo clause would be to at least double that and maybe more, Col W*nker must fancy him cos he is straight back into the side as soon as he has recovered from injury.

Not bad for a player who wasn't good enough for ECFC in the Conference.

3 years ago the average Premiership wage was £21,000. Taking into account the top players wages many players would have been on approx £15k.
Championship wages were averaging £5k.
So even with inflation I doubt Mackie was on much more than £6-7k. Unlikely to be a huge increase clause if QPR got promoted, so I reckon he is still on no more than £10k.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
John O'shea was on £85k a week at Manure, no agent worth his salt would let their player go to a Chump club without a monster promo bonus in his contract, what have the clubs got to lose ? QPR's T/O might have been 20 mill in the Chump, today it is 60 plus, Mackie probably got between £5k and £8k a week when he signed, his promo clause would be to at least double that and maybe more, Col W*nker must fancy him cos he is straight back into the side as soon as he has recovered from injury.

Not bad for a player who wasn't good enough for ECFC in the Conference.
Well, reported (by The Sun) to be on the verge of a deal worth £80K per week. Haven't seen any confirmation that he did indeed sign a deal even in excess of that.

Poultice

Unlikely to be a huge increase clause if QPR got promoted, so I reckon he is still on no more than £10k.
Well I disagree, but if you are right, poor lad, how does he get by ?

Actually I only disagree about the level of the promo bonus, my original point ceded the argument that £10k a week is a possibilty, although certainly at the bottom end.

Last edited:

Poultice

Well, reported (by The Sun) to be on the verge of a deal worth £80K per week. Haven't seen any confirmation that he did indeed sign a deal even in excess of that.
Nobody would confirm it but it was £85k, conditional upon squadage of course, he moved because of Jones and Smalling stealing his spot, same with 'own goal Wes', they didn't want to be 6th and 7th choice.

Willy Nilly

Mackie, at the very least will be on £10k per week, at the very least.

As ******** said, not bad for a player that would struggle in the Conference.

Last edited:

Mackster

Nobody would confirm it but it was £85k, conditional upon squadage of course, he moved because of Jones and Smalling stealing his spot, same with 'own goal Wes', they didn't want to be 6th and 7th choice.
Smalling was on £50 a game and wash your own kit 3 years ago :D

Many people would consider Noble a far superior footballer to Mackie, but one's plying his trade in the Premier League and one's coasting it in League 1. Funny old game init.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I got interested while reading this so did a bit of searching on the internet while eating my sandwich.

Total wage bills for the middle to lower ranking teams in the PL (Stoke, Sunderland, Blackburn, Fulham etc.) were generally between £30 and £50 m. in 2009/10. Average players' wages were between £1 and 1.5 m per annum (£20-30K per week). This covers a huge range, of course, from star players on several mil. to 18 year olds on £250K or less.

Generally promoted teams play significantly less, of course. Total bills of £20-30 m. or £500-750 K or so per head, with big increases if they stay up. Though again that will hide huge variations between a Joey Barton on several million and Jake Soap, third choice keeper, on £250K. Blackpool were unusual in not paying big wages because they knew they would go down again; Portsmouth made the wrong choice, paid huge wages (average £1.7m) and still went down, and we know what happened to them.

QPR will be a relatively big payer and I very much doubt if Mackie as a full international is on less than £10 K a week and double that sounds more likely.

Good article by David Conn on PL finances here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/19/premier-league-finances-black-hole

Poultice

Many people would consider Noble a far superior footballer to Mackie
Breaking News:-

Many people haven't got a f*cking clue.

Well-known Exeweb poster
Recalled to the Scotland squad, well done Jamie.