• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

James Bittner Unemployed.

Lister

Really?

I'd expect him to sit there and slag off the whole set up.

I am not passing judgement on Marriott's role, just on the above quote.
Yes, really. And he didn't speak so highly on everything so your point is?

The question put to him was about a new reserve keeper cos "Marriott will be gone right?". Rob went on to explain everything that Andy does outside of being a keeper, and how it's valued by the whole squad. His popularity within the squad could be seen at the open bus top thingy when he said a few words about the players player of the year.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, really. And he didn't speak so highly on everything so your point is?

The question put to him was about a new reserve keeper cos "Marriott will be gone right?". Rob went on to explain everything that Andy does outside of being a keeper, and how it's valued by the whole squad. His popularity within the squad could be seen at the open bus top thingy when he said a few words about the players player of the year.
As i said before, i don't have an issue with Marriott at all, either in his new role or as a 'keeper (although he did have a shocker the last time i saw him play).

My point was that Edwards was talking about a specific person at the club and so i would expect him to give a positive answer.

If he was talking in more general terms about the coaching set up for example, then he could say something like "there is room for improvement etc etc", but he wasn't.

Anyway, this thread is meant to be about James Bittner's plight.

TimG

I think what TimG meant is that AM clearly had a big impact on PJ's development last season. Though obviously he'll speak for himself. (Sorry Tim)
Is exactly what i was trying to say but proberly not to obvious.

Carnt work out why anyone would have that much of a problem with marriott, but fair play it is all a game of opinions and everyone is entitled to own one.

For me if tis wants marriott around then that is more than fine will me. Hell If tis wanted to employ someone to to create ice sculptures in 30 degree heat i would back him completly :)

Bittners a Legend

where is Bittner's a legend when you need him ...
... better late than never! :)

I'd love Bitts back but of course it won't happen. I always felt he was treated quite badly by the club and was/is a much superior goalkeeper and person than Martin Rice.

I hope he finds another club at Blue Square level at the lowest.

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
I take it you haven't seen Andy Marriott's new job title?

He is, I believe, now listed as general manager (football). I'm not sure quite what that entails - I guess it's more a logistical role than a coaching one - but I'm sure Tiz wouldn't have insisted on it if he wasn't keen to recognise Andy Marriott's worth to the club.

That being the case, I'll go with his opinion over yours... if you don't mind! ;-)
Andy is a very inteligent bloke, I have a feeling it is something more on the logistical side.

Imo Marriotts error against Salisbury was nowhere near as bad as Jones' against Torquay, Although it wasn't a great header he got the ball clear, the kind of shot that followed only goes in 1/100.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Jones against Torquay was a combination of a dreadful back-pass (can't remember but I assume Seaborne? Usually is!), a bit of outrageous (bad) luck and of course a handball. Not to mention good awareness by Zebroski to realise that an underhit back-pass could be fruitful.

Marriott's error against Salisbury was two-fold in that he not only rushed out needlessly but also headed straight up the pitch rather than out to the flanks, which would've made it more difficult for the ball to be returned to the net. Lest we forget also the howler against Aldershot, the slip against Halifax (well atoned for, it has to be said) and a kamikaze effort against Stevenage that almost cost us 2 points but for a goal-line clearance (Gill?).

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jones against Torquay was a combination of a dreadful back-pass (can't remember but I assume Seaborne? Usually is!)

**Mutters under breath**

It was Matt Taylor Jase :-#

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Really? He must've learned from the master! :D

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Imo Marriotts error against Salisbury was nowhere near as bad as Jones' against Torquay,
Nah, they were both complete howlers.

Bit suprised at Marriott being slagged quite so badly, I wouldn't have put him that far behind Jonesy two years ago, I guess the gap will have widened but I am sure he could cope in an emergency whilst Tis was getting a subby in.

Bitts was always lightweight and is now too old to be in development for us, any new 'un should be young and good enough to push Jonesy for the jersey.

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marriott's error against Salisbury was two-fold in that he not only rushed out needlessly but also headed straight up the pitch rather than out to the flanks, which would've made it more difficult for the ball to be returned to the net. Lest we forget also the howler against Aldershot, the slip against Halifax (well atoned for, it has to be said) and a kamikaze effort against Stevenage that almost cost us 2 points but for a goal-line clearance (Gill?).
The thing is you could make a very similar list about Jones' errors throughout his career, one thing i'm suprised hasn't been mentioned about Marriott is the role he had to play in someone's injury last season...