• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jake Richards

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's appeared 50 times for his country already, how many others can say that at 23?
Wales.

GrecianByTransit

He's appeared 50 times for his country already, how many others can say that at 23?
Exactly. If Ethan doesn't have 100+ premier league appearances by the time he retires then I'll run down Sidwell street with a sign that says 'Free Crack' strapped to my chest.

We're getting off track here but the take home is that comparisons are useless. Vardy was in the Conference until his mid 20's. Ethan got snapped up by Chelsea at 16. And Jake will carve his own path

GrecianByTransit

Players who played less than 50 games for Wales at the age of 23:
Ryan Giggs
Gareth Bale
Mark Hughes
Ian Rush
Aaron Ramsey
John Charles
Neville Southall

And the rest. What a tone deaf comment

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Players who played less than 50 games for Wales at the age of 23:
Ryan Giggs
Gareth Bale
Mark Hughes
Ian Rush
Aaron Ramsey
John Charles
Neville Southall

And the rest. What a tone deaf comment
So are you saying EA is better than Giggs and Bale?

If Ampadu was English he'd have zero caps, would you still hold him in as high a regard?

Good player, don't get me wrong, but people don't half over egg it.

GrecianByTransit

So are you saying EA is better than Giggs and Bale?

If Ampadu was English he'd have zero caps, would you still hold him in as high a regard?

Good player, don't get me wrong, but people don't half over egg it.
No. What I'm saying is that you dismissing his 50 international caps by saying 'Wales' is stupid. And the fact that you didn't understand what I was getting at means you're stupid

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
We talk about Ampadu like he's gone on to win the champions league, he's only in the division above us.

Re Richards, people need to stop comparing him, just let him develop and see what happens.
Yes, the biggest win that Ethan has ever got in the Champions League was only a quarter final away win. Never played in the Champions League semi finals or final.

Pathetic effort, shows he's not up to much.

No. What I'm saying is that you dismissing his 50 international caps by saying 'Wales' is stupid. And the fact that you didn't understand what I was getting at means you're stupid
He has got a point though, 50 caps before the age of 23 for Wales has no relevance unless obviously you’re a proud Welshman of course.
It’s not like they have a huge talented pool to pick from at Centre half. I mean he might struggle to hold down the shirt now George Ray is in a bit of good form.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
He has got a point though, 50 caps before the age of 23 for Wales has no relevance unless obviously you’re a proud Welshman of course.
It’s not like they have a huge talented pool to pick from at Centre half. I mean he might struggle to hold down the shirt now George Ray is in a bit of good form.
Exactly. I'm not dismissing the fact he has 50 caps for his country, good on him and he should be proud of himself, but that doesn't mean he's as good as what some like to believe.

He's playing in the Championship.

Anyway, isn't this the Jake Richards thread? Hants will be on the warpath.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly. I'm not dismissing the fact he has 50 caps for his country, good on him and he should be proud of himself, but that doesn't mean he's as good as what some like to believe.

He's playing in the Championship.
To be fair, this season he looks like a prem player playing temporarily in the championship. Leeds player of the season in what could still be a promotion season. He's not achieved (yet) what Ollie has achieved, but if he was getting minutes here and there for us, we'd still put him in the "development player" category at his age.... Time will tell, won't it, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't play over 100 games at the top level (already 1/4 of the way there). Will probably break the appearance record for Wales as well. He's probably a way off his career high water mark, but he looks like he's doing alright to me. How this relates to Jake Richards, I'm not sure other than they both got games for us at a young age. Richards has impressed when I've seen him, taking into account his age. It's impossible to predict how these things turn out. Plenty of prodigiously talented 16 year olds do very little... plenty of kids who don't stand out that much go on to achieve great things - where were the predictions of greatness for a 16-year old Watkins? The club/manager obviously think he's a bit special, or he wouldn't be getting in at such a young age.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure any of us as 'fans' have a scooby as to whether JR will become as good as Amps or Watkins. However, common sense tells us that very very few players start games at aged 16 whether at our club or any other. Most like pretty much all of our academy players never get a sniff of first team action until at least 19, and I don't count pizza pot games and the like I mean League One proper football. On that basis alone he has to have something about him. Secondly, Gary is no fool and clearly has an eye in terms of younger players and their attributes. He spent time as a coach with young players and doesn't appear to be a manager interested in a vanity project or doing anything for the sake of it. If he was I'm pretty sure Harry Lee would have played some minutes this season