• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ivor Doble

Langer

He pulled a few deals over the years no doubt RIP A full life lived that’s for sure!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
A true Legend of ECFC and perhaps as a fitting tribute could the stand named after him be more prominently named after him again. Chairman during some truly terrible times but also during some of the most exciting times. Those of us lucky enough to remember 89-90 and witness that team will never forget that. RIP Ivor and thanks for everything you did for ECFC.
Still call it the Doble stand myself

RIP Ivor

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still call it the Doble stand myself

RIP Ivor
I still think his name is on the back of the "IP Office Stand" when viewed from Red Square.
RIP Ivor

ExmouthMart

I think someone mentioned this before. Why not display his name where it’s more prominent on the front of the stand then?! Maybe it’s part of our history some people want to forget. Maybe the RIP page is not the place to discuss the reasons why we might want to quietly forget Ivor Doble but if there is something maybe the powers that be could enlighten us?! All the comments I’ve read from supporters seem to be positive about him. No one is perfect but I don’t think he ever personally gained from the Club. He always seemed to want to do his best for the Club and didn’t he more or less gift the Club to The Trust?! Surely putting his name back on the stand is the least we could do as a fitting tribute to him.

Nigel E

I *think* the position is that if it wasn't sponsored the stand would revert to being the Ivor Doble Stand.

Whereas for the Adam Stansfield Stand, a specific requirement of the sponsorship was to retain Adam's name in its branding. That probably has a financial impact, as would doing the same on the IP Office Stand.

Likewise, if I remember correctly, the "new" Big Bank started life as being named after Cliff Bastin, but he has not been referred to in its naming for some time, since its successive sponsorships. Happy to be corrected on this though

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think someone mentioned this before. Why not display his name where it’s more prominent on the front of the stand then?! Maybe it’s part of our history some people want to forget. Maybe the RIP page is not the place to discuss the reasons why we might want to quietly forget Ivor Doble but if there is something maybe the powers that be could enlighten us?! All the comments I’ve read from supporters seem to be positive about him. No one is perfect but I don’t think he ever personally gained from the Club. He always seemed to want to do his best for the Club and didn’t he more or less gift the Club to The Trust?! Surely putting his name back on the stand is the least we could do as a fitting tribute to him.
How about the new scoreboard? Given Ivor's association with timepieces, it would be kinda fitting if his name was to be associated with a device which, one presumes, will keep us abreast of how long is left on the referee's watch.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about the new scoreboard? Given Ivor's association with timepieces, it would be kinda fitting if his name was to be associated with a device which, one presumes, will keep us abreast of how long is left on the referee's watch.
Super idea

david61

Celebration of his life, Exeter Cathedral, 2/4/2022 @ 11.00am.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Had no idea Ivor was a Timepiece regular.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Celebration of his life, Exeter Cathedral, 2/4/2022 @ 11.00am.
Shame it conflicts with Newport game but even more reason for City to come home with 3 points - he would have loved that !
RIP Ivor a True Grecian