• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ITV scrap Westcountry News!!

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Today Ofcom have given permission for ITV to cut their regional news output and news stations, So apparently this means Westcountry News is going to be scrapped from early next year and merged with ITV West in Bristol and the studio's in Plymouth Barnstaple Exeter etc will go.

So basically this is the final death nail in local Independent Television. As someone who's old enough to remember Westward TV & TSW i think this is just so sad. I know they had their faults but this was part of the identity of the S West. Being a City fan at least Westcountry acknowledged ECFC unlike the Plymouth biased BBC so now we're going to be part of the "West" area i bet our team will get hardly a mention.

I would like to Know what Mark Tyler thinks and will he still have a job!! Again a decision made by people in London who only think the S West ends at Bristol

Regional ITV RIP

ECFC TOM

Hopefully they will get rid of that annoying fat woman. Wasn't there news about this in earlier in the year?

DB9

Wasn't there news about this in earlier in the year?
Yeah, Today's announcement makes it official though

tisdale 1

Resigned
WTF! westcountry is the best one!:'(

why cant the BBC scrap spotlight sh*te!:mad: that means even less coverage for us now.

Antony Moxey

Who cares - all you get is news about Plymouth anyway, and the sport coverage is an absolute joke.

loobygrecian

I much prefer Westcountry as Spotlight clashes with Hollyoaks - plus Spotlight lick the pasty munchers asses anyway!

DB9

When i lived in Devon i'd put Westcountry's sport coverage way above the BBC's at least they acknowledged us when we got relegated to the BSP

Last edited:

ECFC TOM

I would much rather ITV Westcountry (minus the fat bird), to Spotsh*te. Will the sport be all about Brizzle City now then?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Both of them just talk about Plymouth, Cornwall and Dorset anyway so who cares? Football goes on Virgin Media each week and you all read this site which pretty much gives you the info about ECFC before the journos know. The less local TV the better IMO, it's all crap about some old gal called Doris who lost her bus pass.

Oldsmobile-88

The days of ITV being a licence to print money,have long gone...Hence this cost cutting exercise....

A pity.What ever anyone thinks of the rights or wrongs of Westcountry TV,It has given the Grecians good coverage,in their time in non league football...