• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

It's been a tough season to get enthusiastic!

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
So we can get another Bauza or Davies in? Exciting times...

Or another Cureton.

ECFC Music

For me it's the opposite. I would much rather we had had a money-spinning Cup run and wins over our neighbours than go up this year. I just don't believe we are strong enough - yet.

With a bit of cup cash to spend, perhaps next season we would be up to League One standard.
But who knows whether we would be strong enough to use your words.We could lose good players that would weaken us but recruit others that would strengthen us so until the squad is assembled i don't think any judgement can be made.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quite frankly who cares. We go up we will be abject again and come back down playing the worst football ever seen. We stay down and we hang around this league playing the worst football ever seen. Either way there is only one way to get the 'buzz' back around SJP and we all know what that is.

eurogrecian

We'll see what happens for the team, but it has been a poor season for Exeweb and I think the above post (although designed mostly to get a mug like myself to reply!) probably sums things up pretty well.
Depressing.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think if our away form had been our home form them the Majority would think we have had a good season. As it has been our home form has been very poor. Then again we are still in there with a good shout of playoffs and an outside shout of the automatic spots so all is not lost for this season.

As for yesterday it sounds like our players bottled it well and truly. I personally feel the whole club has a massive mentality issue with Argyle matches and the current crop cannot deal with that pressure but ultimately they should be able to deal with the pressure and play their own game. Fair play to Plymouth yesterday they exploited us and found us massively wanting.

As for going up i cannot believe any fan of a club like ours where promotions are few and far between to put it nicely do not want us to go up because of a fear about competing at the next level. Ultimately derby matches do not define a season and i personally would take losing all the derby matches in exchange for promotion any day of the week. In 6 games time if Argyle or Torquay suffer shocking form and go down(It is not going to happen i admit) does anyone really think they will go o well we won the devon derbies against Exeter so all is good, like **** will they. Yes its disappointing and we all wanted to win but we did not. Time to move on and try to win the next 6.

Last edited:

DannyJim

It's the home form I worry about. Away form is all well and good but season ticket holders pay for home games and provide reliable income. I can't afford a season ticket next year without a struggle and after this season I will only pay as I go to matches.

I would like success in any form and promotion would be great whenever it comes.

Darren Moxey

Resigned
To be honest, this season hasn't been that bad. We're in the pay-offs and we've won 11 away from home! Compared to last season, when we were, let's be honest, absolute garbage 70% of the time (and I'm not buying this injury crisis bollox -- we would have got relegated anyway). I've quite enjoyed this season, but can understand that people are unhappy due to the below average home form. Having said that, we've won the last three on the bounce at home and a win tomorrow would see us right back in the picture for automatic promotion.

jabba the gut

...to last season...we were...absolute garbage 70% of the time...I'm not buying this injury crisis bollox
It is not "bollox". The injury crisis was very real, very serious and very persistent - in fact I struggle to think of too many players who weren't injured at some point. Even loanees got injured. To make matters worse, large sections of critical parts of the team would be injured simultaneously - for example we would have lots of midfielders missing, then it would be a makeshift defence, then we had no strikers. We were being forced to start with young boys like Tom Nicholls and Chris Shephard, who had never even played a League game, in League 1 FFS.

IIRC we also had an unusual number of red cards/suspensions, at least one of which was ludicrous; i.e Tully at Preston. I hear Noble's was a bit harsh too. All in all, we barely had any time with even a reasonable number of fit, first choice players on the pitch at the same time.

we would have got relegated anyway)...
I don't think so. At least we would have made a better fight of it. It's not as though we were dead and buried by February - we nearly survived. You seem to be suggesting that having a fit squad makes no difference, which is illogical.

Last edited: