• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Interview with Mike Lester

My Time In Football

Evening everyone,

Does anyone on here remember Mike Lester, who played for Exeter in the early 80s?

I had a good chat with Mike about his career recently. Started at Oldham before moving to Man City where things didn't really work out. After that he was a bit of a journeyman, and joined Exeter in the 80s from Barnsley, before moving back up north to Bradford.

http://mytimeinfootball.com/Mike_Lester

AlanDevlin

Good thumbs up for Johnny Newman, if nothing else - get the feeling Lester could have been quite rude about his time here!

I remember the name Mike Lester, but little else.

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good thumbs up for Johnny Newman, if nothing else - get the feeling Lester could have been quite rude about his time here!

I remember the name Mike Lester, but little else.
Me neither, which is a shame. 6 goals in 19 appearances is not too shabby.

eurogrecian

I remember him.
'Mercurial', I think would be the best description.
A veritable Tony Currie or Duncan McKenzie of the lower divisions!

les.gtfc

Mike Lester was here at Grimsby for a couple of season in the late '70's.

I remember that he scored 4 in one game when we beat Darlington 7-2. We were 6-0 up at half time!

Oldsmobile-88

Yes, I remember him playing the the first half of the 81/82 season. He was signed the same time as Joe Cooke the former Bradford striker who had converted to a defender/midfielder by the time of his arrival at SJP.

Lester looked a good signing and he cost a decent fee iirc..I do not recall why he left so suddenly (Cooke also left around the same time)..Lester scored a hatrick in the 5-4 win at home to Millwall (5-1 up at one point) Over 7,000 at SJP that day.Vouchers were being handed out for the visit of Liverpool in the league cup later that month, was the reason why.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Yes, I remember him playing the the first half of the 81/82 season. He was signed the same time as Joe Cooke the former Bradford striker who had converted to a defender/midfielder by the time of his arrival at SJP.

Lester looked a good signing and he cost a decent fee iirc..I do not recall why he left so suddenly (Cooke also left around the same time)..Lester scored a hatrick in the 5-4 win at home to Millwall (5-1 up at one point)
Was that the game when Joe Cooke ran from the half way line to score one of the funniest goals I've ever seen at SJP? (on a par with Troys at Sheff Wed).

Oldsmobile-88

I seem to remember it was...A good player iirc.

I expect they were transfered(Lester & Cooke) because the club were skint as usual..Despite the fantastic cup run the previous season,money was getting tight because of poor crowd figures at SJP .Though similar to what we get nowadays, but of course the Grecians were playing at a higher level (Division 3 in old money)

Last edited: