• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

In and Outs 2011 - Transfers, Released players, etc

MerleyRed

Things certainly seem to be shaping up nicely and with two or three more additions we should be well prepared for the coming season.
I don’t want to dwell on the negative side, there are enough on here who take care of that, but I cannot help being concerned at the situation we may find ourselves in at the end of next season with, apparently, most of our squad out of contract. It’s certainly a problem that I am sure the club will be looking to address, but as others have said you cannot force players to sign contracts.

I hope it does not result in a situation similar to Bournemouths. Cherries fans are expecting to lose many of their first team players, albeit a combination of those out of contract and those subject to bids from other clubs. Whilst many are quick to pounce on any perceived lack of professionalism on the part of our club, consider Bournemouths handling of the proposed sale of Jason Pierce to the Posh. Cherries fans were not best pleased to hear that the club were prepared to accept what they considered was a derisory offer of 500K, for a player they considered to be worth significantly more. If they thought that was bad, consider how they felt when it was reported that the Bournemouth Chairman advised the Posh in a telephone conversation that they would probably accept their offer, and in the words of the Bournemouth Echo, having put the phone down, checked Pierces file, to only then, find there was a 50% sell on clause which entitled Pompey to half the fee ! Not surprisingly, he back-peddled fast and the deal is now in the balance. If it happened to us, it would be the Exeweb meltdown to end all meltdowns !

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t want to dwell on the negative side, there are enough on here who take care of that, but I cannot help being concerned at the situation we may find ourselves in at the end of next season with, apparently, most of our squad out of contract. It’s certainly a problem that I am sure the club will be looking to address, but as others have said you cannot force players to sign contracts.
Yes. I think if we are not promoted next season many of our better players will leave. For the most part they can earn more money elsewhere and have probably stuck with us for similar reasons to each other. Namely that they are under contract, loyal to the manager and believe that the Club could make it into the Championship. Well come next summer they won't be under contract, they may or may not be in the Championship and I believe if they are not then the manage will leave as well.

Next summer really could represent the end of an era. It is not all bad though as if Tis goes his replacement will have the bulk of the budget available to bring his own players in with.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Meh, I think we'll get some under the radar contract extensions that seem to happen during the season, we'll be fine.

Here's hoping we'll be Championship next season :eek:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... Next summer really could represent the end of an era ...
And the start of a better one ... :)

Does anyone know the length of the contracts that Duffy, Noble & Nardiello have got? I presume they're all one year but doesn't say on either the club or Echo website.

Yep - one year all.

Tiny squad for next season and minus Harley. 4 decent players needed to push on otherwise 13th place beckons.

Grecian1966

Yep - one year all.

Tiny squad for next season and minus Harley. 4 decent players needed to push on otherwise 13th place beckons.
Luck with injuries will probably decide our fate - Rochdale had 19 pro's on the whole last season and still finished 10th!

jw28

Danny Schofield is apparently coming to us, seeming Brizzle got Gill..

milts

Danny Schofield is apparently coming to us, seeming Brizzle got Gill..
Source.....?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
James Norwood to Forest Green. My best wishes go with him and hope that his career does get going again with FGR.