• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ignorance

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm guessing it's a crowd thing rather than specifically a sport thing. I don't know much about the psychology of crowds but I do know that being in one alters an individuals behaviour, sometimes quite drastically, from how it might be if they were on their own. Similar in some ways to how it happens on the internet perhaps.
I think it's mostly a football crowd thing. I've heard it in hockey on the other side of the pond, but other than that it's far rarer in other sports.

Stockleys probably the best striker I've seen for us since Cureton.
A fair point for my first post! Cureton was similarly a prolific scorer when we played it on the floor down the inside channels, not hoofed up front hoping he'd get the click on. Curo wouldn't have reached them!!! Don't get me wrong...I find Shockley exciting and I'm glad we've got him but he's not in Curo's class IMO. He was the embodiment of what City were about 6 or so years ago.

Dubai Grecian

Standing on the Big Bank today (first appearance of the season) Jayden misdirects a header on 76 minutes

‘You’re a pr!ck’ shouts the bloke next to me

Jayden. A great player. A young lad. Nice bloke. Top goal scorer.

81 minutes. Jayden Scores

The same man cheers

A chant goes out. He joins in.

Sometimes I really hate football fans.
There were a few on the bank on Saturday....the rain and cold must have brought them out.

100milesaway

Yeah I did say sometimes I hate football fans - not specifically City fans

I understand it happens everywhere

I just don’t understand it when it’s being directed at a really good player who seems to do his best at all times - I don’t understand it at any time other than if someone is very clearly not trying (or if their name is John Terry or Ashley Cole of course)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Seen John Terry and Ashley Cole playing for England and they were almost always giving it best except when they were clearly carrying a knock.

100milesaway

It’s not their footballing skills that annoyed me!

Great players, I agree