• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

If you opened a shop....

Legohead

Banned
I have been considering opening a small shop for a while now, just to give me a bit of income, something to do and something that isn't overwhelming and too much hard physical work. I have always wanted to have a bookshop but I don't think these thrive do they with the bulk of books being purchased online so that's a risk. I have been thinking of other things to sell. Myself and my partner have lots of experience in the animal / pet sector so a small pet shop could be an option but again, the huge draw of places like Pets At Home could make it difficult. I guess it all depends on your location too.

A craft ale shop also appeals. I'm only looking to make a modest living and partly it will be for me to do as a pastime rather than looking at it as work. I do like looking around niche shops in places like York as I feel they offer something different than just the usual generic shops and whilst I find shopping a chore myself, I do like these niche independent shops. I would have absolutely loved a music shop back in the day but everyone buys digital now so no point now.

Any suggestions? Anyone actually own a shop or have done in the past? What shop would you open if you could do so? Sex shops excluded. ;)

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rent and rates are a killer for the shopkeeper Lego. Hours of work and not usually a profit that merits all the hard work.

If you do go for it check out all your costing carefully and get a view of a realistic projection of turnover before committing

elginCity

Also don’t underestimate what is involved in running a business, even a small one. There’ll be things to tackle you won’t ever have thought of in advance. If you’ve no experience at all, I’d suggest plenty of research and talk to many shop owners, and ask loads of questions. Good luck !

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Plagues R Us

Sell stuff like toilet paper, bread flour, pasta, hand sanitizer, masks, etc, etc.

You'll do booming trade during a second wave and lockdown, then when all that subsides China will release the next biggie. You'll be quids in.

I once owned a traction engine shop but it didn't have quite the draw that I'd hoped for and the idea soon ran out of steam.

Legohead

Banned
Rent and rates are a killer for the shopkeeper Lego. Hours of work and not usually a profit that merits all the hard work.

If you do go for it check out all your costing carefully and get a view of a realistic projection of turnover before committing
I was hoping they might come down after the pandemic tbh. I wouldn't open a shop in a town centre though. God no. Just a small shop no bigger than to fit two or three people in at once in a little village somewhere perhaps. Lots to think about indeed.

iscalad

Antiques are the way forward.

Legohead

Banned
Antiques are the way forward.
I've always liked rummaging through antiques shops too but I know absolutely nothing about them.

iscalad

I've always liked rummaging through antiques shops too but I know absolutely nothing about them.
Buy a load of old tat and sell it for rip off prices. Easy.🤓

Legohead

Banned
Buy a load of old tat and sell it for rip off prices. Easy.🤓
I sometimes watch these antiques programmes and am staggered by the number of people who just casually announce they were on holiday and something in a shop caught their eye and so they spent 500 quid on a painting or something. As you do like. :ROFLMAO:

Can think of better things to randomly spend 500 quid on. I i had 500 quid in the first place to waste of course.