• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ian - new Newcastle manager?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The current youtube videos available with Gerrard diving are well put together, makes him look very bad!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AaqymT_upmc

He does go down when he's running and someone makes contact with him, however I wouldn't call him a diver. The Gattuso one was a foul - there WAS contact and it did impede his run - so he milked it by going down. Fair play. The one he did on Tuesday night I haven't seen yet but I'm told is more clear cut as a dive. When refs are consistent about showing yellow cards for simulation they'll begin to stamp it out but as it stands it's always going to be worth a try. We can bleat on about how it's unfair, but so are many other things that players do in games that are somehow deemed not worthy of accusations of cheating.

A player like Gerrard, Drogba or Ronaldo is at least most of the time concerned with playing good football, but a player like Michael Brown of Wigan is only on the field to kick people. Wigan have started to bring him on off the bench in tight games just to get a yellow card by putting it up the opposition. This is cynical in the extreme but people don't bleat on about it. In a sense I agree with Arsene Wenger, the cards should be out immediately with any dangerous play, it's so anti-football. The challenges by Stoke players were regarded as 'competitive' but if you can't time your challenge to get the ball, you shouldn't be challenging at all. You're inviting diving by doing that and English players will continue to get injured and be unavailable or carrying injuries at major tournaments as they have been in recent years. In a way I'm glad Gerrard dives because it means players are wary of coming in late on him as they'll concede a foul. If the player tries to stay on their feet as Rooney does, it means players are more likely to have a go at you. Late or mis-timed challenges rarely go unpunished in Spain or Italy, as a result real footballers are protected more.

Good to see that old threads never die though!!!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Id love to see Shearer get a chance alongside Roeder - i think they have done pretty well in general ,

Shearer without doubt deserves to stay involved - his legs have well & truly gone now - but without doubt the best English Centre Foward in Premiership history. Top Player For Newcastle & England.
I dont think Shearer deserves a chance in the top flight. If he wanted to be a football manager then why dosnt he do what Paul Ince did and learn his trade in the lower laegues. Hes to Arrogant i think and will sit and wait for a BIG job as he feels hes better than managing someone other than a big team.

tisdale 1

Resigned
I dont think Shearer deserves a chance in the top flight. If he wanted to be a football manager then why dosnt he do what Paul Ince did and learn his trade in the lower laegues. Hes to Arrogant i think and will sit and wait for a BIG job as he feels hes better than managing someone other than a big team.
and TBH he is a big arrogant t*sser of a pundit aswell!

was a great player though