• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hows Whichelow doing?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't see this scenario as 'taking a punt' given Watford and their Academy. If we were loaning someone from the League of Ireland then that is 'taking a punt'. You can do all the research in the world, ask all the right people and there are no guarantees! There are too many variables that can happen as you know in football - confidence, home sickness, the fit with the existing dressing room etc. etc.
Yeh, but maybe having a look for yourself might help don't you think?....this was a punt and it didn't come off.

Grecian1966

Many would agree with what you say Malcolm but for all we know Tiz spent weeks speaking to people in the game and concluded the boy was what we needed? On paper he (and the previous gimp from Reading) sounded a better bet than Jake Taylor but as we know Taylor appears to be the best of the three.

Last edited:
Yeh, but maybe having a look for yourself might help don't you think?....this was a punt and it didn't come off.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you used to be of the opinion that Tis didn't spread his net wide enough when it came to signing players?

I'd imagine that a hell of a lot of one month loan deals are done across the country where the manager hasn't seen the loanee in the flesh.

Last edited:

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you used to be of the opinion that Tis didn't spread his net wide enough when it came to signing players?

I'd imagine that a hell of a lot of one month loan deals are done across the country where the manager hasn't seen the loanee in the flesh.

You're not wrong and I still feel this...

The manager doesn't have to have seen him but someone from the club should be able to recognise him when he turns up at the C & F:)

FAN-TATIC

To judge a whole squad from one player is short sighted.
To judge Whichelow on the few games he played for us is short sighted too IMO.

He came into a side that was bottom of the League at the time, low on confidence and playing so deep that Nardiello kept bumping into Krysiak! Despite those facts there are those who seem to think he was going to change all of that in just one month. How many of you have changed your employer and got it absolutely spot on from day one? It takes time to get to know your new workmates, the way that the organisation works, how they want to achieve their aims and to feel comfortable amongst them.

The criticism I had of Whichelow had nothing to do with his skills as a professional footballer. It was his attitude that bugged me, thought too much of himself. Apparently, he now realises that he needs to address that part of his character. Let's see what he his like as a footballer if and when he gets his attitude on track.

Forever7

Just as a brief aside was Mark Rawlinson a loanee? If not, did we have an erstwhile Man Utd loanee who played at right back for us? I know Rawlinson wasn't a right back before some smart arse brings it up.
Seems your binging binges are beginning to cloud your judgement old bean! ;)

We had a right-back in the Alan Ball days that started out at United called Alan Tonge (iirc, delivered the cross for Peter Whiston to score against the scum, Boxing day 1992)

We also had a midfielder by the name of Simon Davies that came down on loan from United a few years later. Scored against Brentford and played against Villa in the FA Cup third round for us, I believe...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We also had a former Man United player who often found himself at right back - Neil Whitworth. *Shudder*