• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How many points do we need for automatic promotion

Morrisman

Since 2002 the league 2 team automatically promoted in third place has done so with between 78 and 88 points.

Year Points of third placed team
2002 84
2003 81
2004 80
2005 81
2006 85
2007 88
2008 78
2009 78
2010 82
2011 80
2012 84
2013 78
2014 81
2015 85
2016 85
2017 85
2018 84
2019 79

Given the closeness of the current top four teams – Swindon, Crewe, Exeter and Plymouth and the current form of some of the chasing pack, it would seem that this season we will need at least 85 points to be automatically promoted. We currently sit on 60 points with fourteen matches to go. There are combinations of possible results that will help us reach 85 points but typically we need to win seven, draw four and lose no more than three matches.

Current form and likely outcomes for the remaining matches are difficult to predict with any accuracy but my best guesses are:-

Macclesfield Away Win
Northampton Away Lose
Crawley Home Win
Crewe Home Draw
Walsall Away Win
Salford Home Win
Scunthorpe Home Win
Plymouth Away Lose (but I really hope I’m wrong)
Bradford Home Draw
Cheltenham Away Lose
Morecambe Home Win
Mansfield Away Draw
Carlisle Home Win
Orient Away Draw

Swindon has a much easier run into the end of the season than City whereas Crewe’s fixtures seem slightly more difficult. Plymouth have a difficult February but then a potentially easier set of fixtures in March and April.

Key games for Exeter are Crewe and Plymouth. If we can avoid defeat in those games then that will go a long way to keeping us in the automatic promotion spots. Let’s hope one of the other teams loses form and slips back thereby easing the pressure on the team and the fans!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
From Swindon to Northampton I still think every side has a chance of a top 3 finish...

I reckon it could be the higher end of 85 this season

jimmy

I don't mean to be a smart arse but surely the answer to this thread title is...

More than the team in 4th! (Or the same with a better GD).

:LOL:

i8cornwall

This is very “Argyle”

Just take it one game at a time like Matt Taylor has said.

Mr Jinx

Whatever happened to our resident 'Probability' poster?

I used to enjoy his perdictshuns.

City vs Argyle at the Wembley Play Off final in May? I'd put money on it now!

Whatever happened to our resident 'Probability' poster?

I used to enjoy his perdictshuns.

City vs Argyle at the Wembley Play Off final in May? I'd put money on it now!
since you ask ... I've been refactoring the probability calculations, with the ultimate goal of creating a website for the four divisions (at least) ... but that's not going to be ready this season ... so here are two charts to get things going ...

stackOutcome_lge2_ExeterCity.pngptsOutcome_lge2_ExeterCity.png

so from may calculations, I think if we get to 85 points and fail to get automatic promotion we can consider ourselves unluck ... 81 points is ~ the 50% chance.

Mr Jinx

OK, given our remaining games I'd say we have over a 50% of auto promotion. However, it's imperative that we win nearly all of our home games (bar Crewe).

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
the fishy predictor with no manual input has us finishing third.