• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How does the average fan think "THE TRUST" operates?.

Dylan

Have I got it wrong then? We are a Trust run Club.We are all Trustees.If you don't like it vote them off and vote in someone who is not ripping off the Club, with expenses,wages etc.We either muddle on being penniless and going back into non league or we do what Argyle have done get someone in who has ulterior motives ie wants to build Hotels etc. but on the back of that you get a nice ground (and it is a nice modern ground).They seem to have a proper plan for the future off the field.Wheres our latest 'vision'?! They can get players in as well who want to play for them where as we sign a player who goes straight out on loan to the mighty Welling.The Trust needs to get a grip or call it a day.
Brilliant!!

Even better answer than Dr Treharne who set the Bar Stewzard up!!

The Trust is NOT FECKING WORKING AT EXETER CITY!!

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
Brilliant!!

Even better answer than Dr Treharne who set the Bar Stewzard up!!

The Trust is NOT FECKING WORKING AT EXETER CITY!!

Oh Dylan, like you I sadly have my doubts. But I don't doubt all.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
So Dylan, are you going to pump millions into redeveloping the ground and assembling a world beating squad? I hear Pele is out of contract maybe you could pick him up cheaply.

Grecian1966

For the avoidance of doubt, I disapprove in principle of having a CEO and chairman paid at commercial rates. I prefer the financing model in which the board acts for free or contributes to the coffers, not the other way round and I disapprove in principle of the board having commercial interests impinging on the club.

The Trust's money goes into the club as a general contribution. It is commonly regarded here as going towards the playing staff, but in practice there is no direct link of which I am aware. It is a matter of fact that the board have been paid (as I recall, the only one who was not is the the now departed Frances Farley). It is not 'stirring' but a comment about the shortcomings (as I see them) of the way the club is run. The failure of the trust over several years to create a financially robust entity is very regrettable. The lack of transparency and accountability are also.

In my view, the situation regarding the board is doubly damaging, because I suspect the contributions to the club might well be greater were there not a considerable degree of discomfiture (as evidenced in these pages) over the whole matter of executive remuneration rates and costs generally at the club. For example, I no longer contribute more than my season ticket.

The financing model chosen for the club might work if we had a successful commercial operation and low behind the scenes costs. We have neither and the prognosis is accordingly gloomy when viewed from Hatch towers. I am thoroughly disillusioned with the current state of the club.
Hatch, I agree with much of your prognosis in that a club with our turnover cannot afford to spend such a disproportionate amount of money on 'off field expenses' paid to Directors. However, in the 'normal' model of football club the Directors essentially put their money into the club in proportion to their shareholding therefore how can we square the circle in a Trust club? My feeling is that no fees should be paid to Directors as having the privileges associated with the boardroom should be good enough without requiring additional payment. I do think we need a Chief Operating Officer for day to day control who needs to be paid but not sure having someone like Taggy with two hats is good for accountability?

hatch4england

I could not agree more G1966, with one exception.

I don't think the CEO job is a full-time job by any stretch of the imagination and certainly does not warrant being remunerated as such. A football club does little trading except about 30 days a year and if the right systems are in place, the CEO job should be only slightly more demanding than a normal NED's (assuming the NED is appropriately diligent). Even on a paid basis, therefore, the appropriate remuneration would be about 1/3rd of what I understand is paid. The trick is to have good people in post and good systems.

Before the Trust took over the club never had a full-time CEO.

I have done the CFO job on a considerably larger entity than ECFC (with 5 day a week trading and a much more demanding and voluminous accounting process) in much less than one day week before now.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
How the average fan thinks of the trust:

"I PUT DUH MONEE IN BOX AT GATE, Y R WE NOT SINING WANE ROONEY?!"
The ironic thing is this is coming from someone who constantly uses the word lol :D

Come on Anon, it's unfair to think all City fans are like you.

Dylan

So Dylan, are you going to pump millions into redeveloping the ground and assembling a world beating squad? I hear Pele is out of contract maybe you could pick him up cheaply.
I'd rather go with the Team and Management we have as we are a 4th Division Team - accept it and weep!

I hate Yeovil and what they have done but maybe come back in 4/5 years when they are back where they belong - in the 4th Division.

I Support Exeter City as I've had my best times following them from the 3rd to the 4th to the Conference and back to the 4th to the 3rd and back down again.

"When a man is tired of Exeter City, he is tired of life" (Samuel Johnson; to a fashion.)

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
I'd rather go with the Team and Management we have as we are a 4th Division Team - accept it and weep!
Yes we are at the moment, but we can be so much better.

Being better means looking to improve on all fronts, NOT accepting the Status Quo.

No glib smarmy answers please. That would not only be obvious, it would indicate either shallowness or a lack of intelligence. I suspect & hope that such an indication would be misleading.

Ampadu19

Hatch4England - you should get involved with the club, as you seem to have the experience.

Dylan

'Drinker.

It's been said many times before that Football Clubs have 'certain levels'. I think that Exeter City's 'level' is upper 4th at the least and a few seasons challenging in the 3rd as we have done.

Look at our hardcore support and then what support we got when we were in the 3rd and only just missed out on the Play Offs.

Even if we did a 'Yeovil' - and how the feck they have got to the Championship is totally beyond me - City would only get about 5,500 at each home game.

We will always hang about where we are or go up or down a tad - as we have done in the last 10 years!