• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

House Prices

Oli

Very well known Exeweb poster
There are plenty of really good three-bedroom houses aorund here that can be had from£550 to £600 per month. Less than I pay for the mortgage anyway!
That shows the difference, we have a decent 3 bed house in zone 2 for £420 a week so about 3 times the price.

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
But if you're renting, then you're throwing your money away.
Ok, some people have to if they can;t get a mortgage but if you invest wiselty in whichever property it is an investment. At least when you've paid off your mortgage you will actually own the property. That will never happen if you rent.

Jim Shepherd

But if you're renting you're not shelling out for insurance, maintenance, appliances etc and it does make sense if you have to move often. The lack of hassle makes it quite an attractive proposition as long as you have a good landlord/management agent.

The problem is if you rent and don't save in some way then you've got no nest egg for the future.

Our 3 bed is about the same price as Oli's, £1500 pcm. in Zone 2 about 20-30 mins from The City or West End. So if I pay a third of that it equates to a mortgage of about £80,000. So for alot of people sharing and renting is the only real option.

And as more people end up single til they're older this situation will increase, or they will stay living at home.

Oli

Jim smacks it on the head, if you tuck away the difference then you end up with quite a bit and it gives you the freedom to move when you want and you don't have a hassle of anything to do with the house.

Jim Shepherd

Having said that I'm in a position where I am now buying.

I'm in a situation where I can afford to without stretching myself unduly. i.e. mortgage will be under the rent I currently pay, and I am beginning to value my own space more and beginning to resent the fact that others share my space.

As with anything, pros and cons. But generally to buy in London you'll need the income equivalent of 2 people.

heathy1

Ive already resigned to the fact that i'll never be able to afford to buy a house, but luckily my rent is only £65.28 a week for 48 weeks of the year thus making buying a house an irrelevance

Ian Mancey

1500 a month rent!

my god, sorry but that is absolutly horrendous!

Im going to worry for you now!

I am shocked

MikeB

£1500 good god! That's almost double what I am paying for mortgage per month. There is absolutely no way I could afford that.

I had to laugh at his latest Conservative announcement about inheritance tax being increased to £1million before you pay. I don't even come into the tax bracket at the current rate! So not a scrap of difference to me.

Ian Mancey

£1500 good god! That's almost double what I am paying for mortgage per month. There is absolutely no way I could afford that.

I had to laugh at his latest Conservative announcement about inheritance tax being increased to £1million before you pay. I don't even come into the tax bracket at the current rate! So not a scrap of difference to me.
How the bloody hell do you live?

Dont want to gloat but I thought I had it tuff when I moved here at 609 a month mortgage, admit that was 13 years ago

Oldsmobile-88

What people forget is the mortgage rate is still historically low...I believe its around 6% at the moment(luckly i have paid mine off a few years ago) but i recall it being around 10-12% for many years,& the problem now if rates do rise too much,is the amount of debt on credit cards,which a lot of people did not have years ago,when they were paying high intrest rates.