• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Histories of St James Park

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Anyone else with a grandfather or great uncle that played for City?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bottom row, second from the left. Henry Wilson he’s called - he’s my mum’s dad - and I believe is listed in the club’s A-Z book (I think penned by Mike Blackstone?). Probably 30 years ago now I submitted that photo to the E&E sports department which they printed in the paper asking if anyone had any information about other players.

Mike Blackstone was one of the 100's of contributers, Ant, but the book with every City player in is Exeter City - A Complete Record 1904-1990. by Maurice Goldsworthy, Garth Dykes, and Alex Wilson; who didnt live to see it published. It really is a 'must have' if you can still get one. I see your granfer was on the books from 1920-23.

A chap I think called Fisher travelled up from Exmouth (I was still living at home in Exeter) with bucketloads of files and was able to identify a number of the other players. I’m not sure where that info is now - probably in the loft somewhere - but more sadly the chap who came round I think died a number of years ago.
Dave Fisher was a Heavitree boy I knew growing up, and he was a left winger by trade. He had a powerful left foot shot too, which I can attest to cos' I two handedly put one of his low shots around the post! I thought I'd broken both wrists! Theres only one decent picture of him that I know of, and thats where he's wearing waterproof coveralls while selling programs behind the OG. As you say, Dave died tragically young many years ago. He had a major collection of football programs as well as the files and info that you speak of. I wonder where all that went? Not binned I hope!

Ant: Sorry, the first paragraph of my reply is above, between the two that you originally posted!

Antony Moxey

S’alright! And yes, I have a copy, as you rightly say a must have.

Exehausted

Dave Fisher was a Heavitree boy I knew growing up, and he was a left winger by trade. He had a powerful left foot shot too, which I can attest to cos' I two handedly put one of his low shots around the post! I thought I'd broken both wrists! Theres only one decent picture of him that I know of, and thats where he's wearing waterproof coveralls while selling programs behind the OG. As you say, Dave died tragically young many years ago. He had a major collection of football programs as well as the files and info that you speak of. I wonder where all that went? Not binned I hope!

Ant: Sorry, the first paragraph of my reply is above, between the two that you originally posted!
I know Mike Blackstone still contributes to these boards very occasionally and I hope he sees this. I'm sure he was a big friend of Dave Fisher's and he will probably know where the mountain of memorabilia that Dave left, went to. I'm sure that it was literally a couple of vans full. I also thought that his mum and dad donated it to the club, but I've no idea if his stuff forms part of our history project. He really was a lovely man and City through and through. I really hope his collection found a good home or homes.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I know Mike Blackstone still contributes to these boards very occasionally and I hope he sees this. I'm sure he was a big friend of Dave Fisher's and he will probably know where the mountain of memorabilia that Dave left, went to. I'm sure that it was literally a couple of vans full. I also thought that his mum and dad donated it to the club, but I've no idea if his stuff forms part of our history project. He really was a lovely man and City through and through. I really hope his collection found a good home or homes.
I got this from Paul Farley

His complete collection was given to the West Country Studies Library and is now at Heritage Centre, Sowton.

The History Group is currently digitising the photos and material, led by the University and their students and other volunteers.

This will appear on our Grecian Archive soon, it is currently being upgraded by the University as part of our partnership with them.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It was 10 years ago today that we hosted Torquay United in the first leg of the play offs at St James Park!
http://www.grecians.co.uk/wordpress/?sp_event=4609

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I was going through some bits here the other day and came across my ticket stub's for those games Hants.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is this the same Dave Fisher who used to sit in front of us in Block A Row D of the OG before it became segregated and used for away supporters. If so he was lovely gentle guy who through his contact with Adam Stansfield (before the latter joined City) managed to get a copy of the City crest so it could made up as a wreath for my mum after her passing.

I remember he always went down and stood at the players entrance getting autographs and yes if the same one died very early probably only mid thirties a few years having a heart bypass operation.

PeteUSA

I remember he always went down and stood at the players entrance getting autographs and yes if the same one died very early probably only mid thirties a few years having a heart bypass operation.
Ironically I was going through the E&E Obituary archives last night trying to find something about his passing - found nought. When did he die? He would have been about 72-73 now. Maybe their archives dont go back that far. I didnt realise he had heart bypass surgery when he was in his 30's!