• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Help! - xbox 360 'Ring of Death'

Brinty IFA

if anyone can help me with this, I'll give them a million if I ever win £161m in the Euromillions....

Got my step sons a 2nd hand xbox 360 for Xmas last year. Has been working fine up until now. It has been freezing lately and a couple of times it has shown 2 of the three red 'rings of death'. It still starts up at the moment but just freezes.

I've had a little look on t'internet and I reckon that there's something that has gone loose on the motherboard which is making it heat up. I'm not the most technical person in the world but there must be someone in Exeter who 'fixes' xboxes?

Does anyone know of anyone who may be able to help? I'm obviously willing to pay - just not MIcrosoft prices!!! It will make a 13 year old Grecian/exewebber happy again.

Tada

Brinty

Last edited:

flat_cap

Exactly the same happened to me, over exactly the same timescale. Took it into Game and they said it would cost £90 to fix it.

They had re-conditioned xboxes, (ones that have been sent back to microsoft for whatever reason and been returned to their original condition as new,) on sale for around £150 which had the latest fifa and an extra controller with them, so I bought one of them instead.

Have had it for must be getting on for 2 years now and not had a single problem with it.

Last edited:

Joshyd123

Very well known Exeweb poster
Wrap it up in towels for about half an hour, lied down on a cool-ish surface and then try playing again. If that doesn't work, then I apologise greatly.

flat_cap

Wrap it up in towels for about half an hour, lied down on a cool-ish surface and then try playing again. If that doesn't work, then I apologise greatly.
If that works I'll donate all the goals I've scored in 6 a side this season to you, thus making you top scorer.

Willy Nilly

Have you tried ringing Microsoft and seeing if they'll fix it?

I have had two do this and both times I've sent it back and they've fixed it for free.

DJH2005

Have you tried ringing Microsoft and seeing if they'll fix it?

I have had two do this and both times I've sent it back and they've fixed it for free.
Is the right answer. Ring Microsoft, lay it on thick, and 8 times out of 10 they'll do a free repair/refurb.

The towels thing does work, but it's usually only ever a short term fix.

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
you should be able to get it fixed for about £40 from an independent chap somewhere.

there's loads up here in brum - just google it for exeter - they normally don't just fix it, they also put in upgraded fans, etc. so that it cools better and stops this ever happening again.

my mate had it done up here for £35 and it's been fine ever since.

heathy1

Very well known Exeweb poster
if anyone can help me with this, I'll give them a million if I ever win £161m in the Euromillions....

Got my step sons a 2nd hand xbox 360 for Xmas last year. Has been working fine up until now. It has been freezing lately and a couple of times it has shown 2 of the three red 'rings of death'. It still starts up at the moment but just freezes.

I've had a little look on t'internet and I reckon that there's something that has gone loose on the motherboard which is making it heat up. I'm not the most technical person in the world but there must be someone in Exeter who 'fixes' xboxes?

Does anyone know of anyone who may be able to help? I'm obviously willing to pay - just not MIcrosoft prices!!! It will make a 13 year old Grecian/exewebber happy again.

Tada

Brinty
Its the x clamp inside that needs re soldering back If I remember correctly, my brother used to do repairs on them all the time, there is a step by step guide on youtube on how to repair them I think