• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Help for a visiting fan...

Rosso Verde e Nero

I'm a Glentoran fan who happens to be visiting the Exeter area this weekend and I'll be at a loose end on Saturday afternoon, so, having checked out the fixtures, you guys are at home - good start! So...

Where's the best part of the ground to head to for a bit of atmosphere and a half-decent view?

Can I assume there is none is this membership card nonsense to buy a ticket, i.e. I can get in on the day at the ground?

I live in Cheshire but I'm definitely NOT a Chester fan, so which end do I avoid?

Perhaps most importantly, where's the best spot for a beer or three before the game, and does anyone fancy meeting up and talking sh**e about Irish and English football beforehand? :)

p.s. If I bore the head off you about the fact that Glentoran are playing Cork City in the Setanta Cup Final on Saturday evening and I can't be there, I apologise in advance... :$

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
The best and most expensive stand is the Flybe Stand, which is all seater and runs down one side of the pitch. It offers the best view of the game. Opposite is the Old Granstand - the seating is left comfortable and the views are sometimes blocked by pillars. At one end is the Big Bank, possibly the largest terrace left in league football in this country, and that's where all the singers congregate. At the opposite end, the St James Road end, is for away fans and is the only uncovered section of the ground.

And yes, you can pay on the day at whichever turnstile you choose to go through!

Last edited:

PeteUSA

And despite the impression you might get from that reply, I'm given to understand that Moxey IS quite friendly when you meet him! ;)

(I suspect he's still struggling to come to terms with the Chesterfield d*cking!)

rogerc

But where will Mox be watching from?

elginCity

does anyone fancy meeting up and talking sh**e about Irish and English football beforehand? :)
Should pop into the Club bar, all the talk at the moment is Linfield's third successive league and cup double. :D :D

Rosso Verde e Nero

Should pop into the Club bar, all the talk at the moment is Linfield's third successive league and cup double. :D :D
Who? :D

Oh yes, that'll be the team who just suffered 4 defeats in a row, including 1-4 at home to Glentoran, and got dumped out of the Setanta Cup at the group stage. Now I remember them.

Rosso Verde e Nero

And despite the impression you might get from that reply, I'm given to understand that Moxey IS quite friendly when you meet him! ;)

(I suspect he's still struggling to come to terms with the Chesterfield d*cking!)
Never got to see it before he edited it... never mind! Thanks for the info.

Antony Moxey

Never got to see it before he edited it....
Nothing to see, just a typo that was all.

Antony Moxey

But where will Mox be watching from?
The directors' box.

[H]

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Rosso for a pre match drink you are more than welcome to come into our social club called the Centre Spot before the game which is right behind the Flybe Stand which also serves Pies, Pasties and Sauasage Rolls and also shows whatever the live lunchtime match is on the big screen, failing that there is a marquee tent outside as well that serves drink and a burger van parked next to it but depending on the weather I should think most people will be inside.

For atmosphere you are best off coming onto the Big Bank terrace behind the goal as thats where us noisy buggers congregate, its £13 on the turnstile. If you choose to sit in the Flybe stand, make sure you sit in a seat not marked with the name 'Antony Moxey' on as he might get a bit upset......oh hi Ant did see you there mate! ;) :D