• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hartlepool's Points Penalty

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Doesn't effect us in anyway. Hartlepool will not by 5 goals. Too many people clutching at straws.

If we stay up it will be because we beat Huddersfield end of.

Grecian1987

Am I missing something? I thought that Hartlepool were 5 points ahead of us at the mo; a 3 point deduction would leave them 2 points ahead. Therefore a draw wouldn't do anything (regardless of how many they get d*cked by), and a win would guarantee our safety over Tranmere anyway.

One of us is being fick.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of us is being fick.
You said it, lol! ;-)

www.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/default.stm

For the record, I'm not clutching at straws and accept it's wholly unlikely the League will do anything to bring Hartlepool into the relegation equation; I'm merely pointing out that there is a possibility, albeit a remote one, and, more to the point, asking why it is that the goals scored aren't expunged in the same way as the three points (assuming that is what happens)?!

MadJohn

Coaching a non-league football team in a Cornwall
why it is that the goals scored aren't expunged in the same way as the three points (assuming that is what happens)?!
As has been said, it would be wholly without precedent. If logic dictates that we should lose the +2 goal difference then surely logic also dictates that Brighton should gain +2. So do we give them a point as well? And we would STILL be better off than we would have been if we'd lost the game. So should we lose a further goal? And should Brighton gain one? And should Brighton gain the points too? Or should we replay the game? All messy, all nonsense.

The Leyton Orient game that a few people have mentioned... didn't they draw the game, and didn't they use three players who should have been suspended, one of whom scored the equaliser? From what I have read, the only thing that seems clear is that there is no clear and consistent punishment for these offences. It's certainly doesn't appear to be a case of "they gained x points so they lose x points"

Good luck on Saturday anyway, I hope you stay up and I hope I get to visit Exeter again next season.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
You said it, lol! ;-)

For the record, I'm not clutching at straws and accept it's wholly unlikely the League will do anything to bring Hartlepool into the relegation equation; I'm merely pointing out that there is a possibility, albeit a remote one, and, more to the point, asking why it is that the goals scored aren't expunged in the same way as the three points (assuming that is what happens)?!
100% agree with the goals thing. They shouldn't knock off the points and leave the goals, kind of contradicts itself.

Imagine the feelings if we go down on goal difference to Hartlepool by 1 or 2 goals!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let's imagine it's the last day of the season, Chelsea are three points clear of Man U and both sides have the same goal difference.

Each side wins its final game - Man U 3-0 and Chelsea 4-0 - but it later transpires Didier Drogba who, incidentally, scored all four Chelsea goals should have been suspended.

Some weeks later, the League takes three points from Chelsea but allows their goal difference to remain the same thereby gifting them the title.

Now, that's a nonsense!

Grecian1987

You said it, lol! ;-)

:)

Back 2 skool 4 me!

MadJohn

Coaching a non-league football team in a Cornwall
Let's imagine it's the last day of the season, Chelsea are three points clear of Man U and both sides have the same goal difference.

Each side wins its final game - Man U 3-0 and Chelsea 4-0 - but it later transpires Didier Drogba who, incidentally, scored all four Chelsea goals should have been suspended.

Some weeks later, the League takes three points from Chelsea but allows their goal difference to remain the same thereby gifting them the title.

Now, that's a nonsense!
OK, even leaving aside the notion that such a high profile player at such a high profile club could possibly be suspended without anyone realising it...

Whatever happens today we will not lose "the points gained against Brighton". It doesn't work like that. That match will be not be declared void. Any points we lose will be independent of what happened in that match. We could have lost that match and still be expecting a punishment.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whatever happens today we will not lose "the points gained against Brighton". It doesn't work like that. That match will be not be declared void. Any points we lose will be independent of what happened in that match. We could have lost that match and still be expecting a punishment.
Fair point. In that case, let's hope you lose six points! ;-)

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
OK, even leaving aside the notion that such a high profile player at such a high profile club could possibly be suspended without anyone realising it...

Totally agree MJ.

The punishment has absolutely no relationship with the game(s) a suspended player has played in.

The FA take a view based on a set of guidelines, not based on whether or not points were won/lost, goals scored/conceded, etc.

If they believe the punishment should be 5 points, they'll dock 5 points; 1 point, they'll dock 1 point.

The result is meaningless; the punishment is all that matters.

Well, that and a City win on Saturday. ;)