• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Holman?

Mike Blackstone

Anyone know what happened to former Exeter City player Harry Holman after he left Peterborough United at the end of the 1978-79 season? Did he return to work in the family haulage business? And he did he play for anyone locally?

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Taggy knows him really well Mike, that may be a good starting point....

Mike Blackstone

Taggy knows him really well Mike, that may be a good starting point....
Thanks for that. I have emailed Julian.

iscalad

Anyone know what happened to former Exeter City player Harry Holman after he left Peterborough United at the end of the 1978-79 season? Did he return to work in the family haulage business? And he did he play for anyone locally?
My dad worked for Holman's. Firm went bust soon after old Harry Holman died. I don't think young Harry ever worked for the firm.

Oldsmobile-88

Harry was at the DVD launch(the Tim Long collaboration) last year & it was good to see him......Without doubt one of the most talanted youngsters on the Grecians books in the 70's..A great shame he packed it all in,too easily..

elginCity

A great shame he packed it all in,too easily..
Fully agree with that Olds, he could and should, have reached the very top. No doubting by anyone who saw him play that he had the ability.

Even from early on, the old Ladysmith school sportsmaster, name escapes me but well known in Devon schools football, reckoned he was the most naturally gifted youngster he'd ever seen, and by some margin.

He represented England schools at football and rugby in the same season, playing at Wembley and Cardiff Arms Park. Left Chelsea as an apprentice allegedly because of 'homesickness' so believe his instinct would have been to return home after Peterborough.

He played in a great school football team at a rugby-playing school, Hele's, alongside the likes of 'Bimbo' Bamborough, Graham Weekes and Mike Green.

He had that ability that all the great players have, loads of time on the ball and an effortless style with the sweetest left foot.

Oh Harry, what might have been.

bflockha

Remember him in the match against Wolves in the cup when drew 2-2.
Seem to remember an individual goal in that game by him.

papillon

Harry is a great bloke. Had a heart op a few years back. Still loves the horses and a few Gin & Tonics

Looks younger than ever!

Paps

Scooterboy 65

I saw Harry in Exeshed a few weeks back and had a good chat over a drink. What a great bloke.
As Paps said just doesn't age.

Tim Long

Harry was at the DVD launch(the Tim Long collaboration) last year & it was good to see him......Without doubt one of the most talanted youngsters on the Grecians books in the 70's..A great shame he packed it all in,too easily..
And he was at the get-together at the Northwich game. See http://www.cheggerspics.co.uk/ It's a long scroll down to 12th April 2008, but picture IMG_3741 will show that he doesn't look like a man in,presumably, his early fifties.

Some of the pictures from that day crop up in the recent book by a certain M. Blackstone. Sort of on topic to the OP, Dave Bennett contacted the ex-players for that Northwich game so he may still have contact details.

PS I assume the picture of LLL with the Lammie Robertson now adorns his front room wall. And LLL's too, probably.

Last edited: