• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harley Joins Swansea But Back Until End Of The Season

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have to face up to the fact that the deal was never going to be a particularly good one from our POV.

Talk of £3-400k for a player with 6 months on his contract was and is, IMHO, pie in the sky.

It is a scenario surely? If he is worth £400k as people think here based on a 6 month contract and a good performance in an average L1 team, why it is unrealistic to think that IF he had a sterling year in CCC he wouldnt be worth twice that amount - or a little more - at that time?
I think that I've spotted a flaw in your argument ;)

People on Exeweb, as a rule, know absolutely f*ck all about the real goings on in football. It's an extremely market based business, if people didn't want him then he's worth nothing. No amount of "well such and such got x amount for so and so" is relevent, it's all about what teams want to pay for that particular player, not how much they cost on Champ Man.

Alistair20000

Maybe the club feels that dropping down to L1 would be a bigger financial blow. Would the sponsorship drop from the likes of Flybe? Is it based on what league we're in. Do the club feel that if we were to drop down the likes of the Chiefs would saturate the area's key sponsorship markets?

Harley has been one of the players instrumental in our rise from non-league to an 'almost' established L1 club. Maybe we as fans should consider that our payment, in advance.

The deal does look shocking, but the more in depth you think about the reasoning behind it, the more it does start to make sense. No doubt the powers that be have spent many hours working out the best possible solution. With the transfer window closing in just over a week, at the present time if it is the only offer on the plate then surely it is the best one.
Shome mishtake shirley ?

ecfc2000

Tisdale showed inexperience there, But i think something has gone on behind the scenes,

Maybe a cash in hand jobby
What's Tis got to do with it? Shirley Perryman is pulling the strings?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

People on Exeweb, as a rule, know absolutely f*ck all about the real goings on in football. It's an extremely market based business, if people didn't want him then he's worth nothing. No amount of "well such and such got x amount for so and so" is relevent, it's all about what teams want to pay for that particular player, not how much they cost on Champ Man.
Thats alright then coz Harley isnt very good on Football manager lol!

bumble1976

Looking up optimistically...unless I get depressed

QUOTE]

Damn you pesky kids, if it wasn't for your realism, I would have got away with it!

CC

PS: Just to stir the pudding a tad more, notice that our next away oppos have just managed to spunk OUT a reported £150k on 21 year old Aden Flint (WHO??) from f*cking Alfreton Town (WHERE??) - and on an possible rest of the season loan back deal too.

Where's as WE'VE just gifted out a primary asset away for (virtually) sweet FA
To be fair he wouldn't be available for nothing in the summer whereas Harley would be.

Dunney Monster

Has it occurred that this may infact be a case of the board showing backing of Tis 100%, as he's already stated he didnt want RH to go in January and so they've accepted the best offer to meet the situation, and so make the best of a bad situation think about the following points

wages potentially covered by swansea, we get to keep RH as requested, potential sell on fee, Tis gets the backing he or any other manager would demand from their board.

We dont have to bring another player into the squad to keep the numbers up and wait until summer to see whats available then, when more quality will be available and possibly save RH's salary for 5 months in the process

not that i'm trying to justify this deal, i still dont think its a great deal, just trying to provide some logic

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
if its survival of the fittest we have got to play the game now, look a league or two down and take someone else's best player who is coming to end of contract by turning his head. To be fair barnet were probably pretty ****** off to lose john o flynn for nowt, but if it wasnt us or bristol city someone would have snapped him up and barnet would still have got nothing.

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's Tis got to do with it? Shirley Perryman is pulling the strings?
Isnt his job to sort the money side of transfers out? and to be fair up to now, imo, he's done a good job.