• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ground Redevelopment

Chalicefc3

Come play with us Danny, forever and ever and ever
If we rebuilt the OG to its fullest potential, involving building over the railway embankment possibly - would it be feasible to turn the BB into all seating and re-terrace the Cowshed? That way we can accommodate for bigger ground capacity when we're settled in the higher leagues.

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
I really can't see any club that has replaced terracing for seating reversing that. It would be money down the drain.

city_is_my_life

If we rebuilt the OG to its fullest potential, involving building over the railway embankment possibly - would it be feasible to turn the BB into all seating and re-terrace the Cowshed? That way we can accommodate for bigger ground capacity when we're settled in the higher leagues.
Are you mental?!? That's essentially a new ground. And going backwards. And just weird. And wrong.

CIML

Red Nose

Building over the railway embankment would be prohibitively expensive, even if it was feasible.

I don't see the point of changing the Shed into a terrace and the Bank into seats - the overall capacity probably wouldn't change. The sponsors wouldn't want to stand either and it would be a huge waste of cash we haven't got.

Tim Long

Would it not show a lack of ambition to replace seats with terracing when City might be aiming to play at a level that requires an all-seater stadium ?

Lister

I seem to remember someone saying that Network Rail had said no to building over the line, and all new stands must be seated (at the moment) so I can't see you being able to make a currently seated stand terraced.

TimG

Something does need to be done about the OG if we go up but putting a terrace in is ilogical considering if we ever did progress further we would need an all seater.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Something does need to be done about the OG if we go up but putting a terrace in is ilogical considering if we ever did progress further we would need an all seater.
A terrace to replace the OG is ilogical, as you say, but that a side i wish it could be done as i still really miss the Cowshed days and the great atmosphere we used to generate.

Chalicefc3

Come play with us Danny, forever and ever and ever
Are you mental?!? That's essentially a new ground. And going backwards. And just weird. And wrong.

CIML
Lateral thinking rather than backwards. I'm suggesting that we retain what would be a standing area that would, I imagine, would be bigger than the space on BB. However comments that we could not reverse convert the Cowshed under regulations, stands to reason. Seating on the Big Bank would still keep the new Cowshedders happy IMO.

I recall through previous attempts of a new ground down at Matford - the council except for Barry McNamara were dead against the idea. What would change now?
ECC love rugby not football IMO, so we have to accept that and look at existing site options. ECC + E&E both harp on about lack of available land in Exeter, so a site move is improbable and the term "like it or lump it" springs to mind.
I just look over at the OG and feel slightly embarrassed that in 2009, the structure is still standing.
Given the limited land space available, would a two tier stand be the way forward?

As for mentality, if we get promoted then I'll go f'ing mental!!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
A terrace to replace the OG is ilogical, as you say, but that a side i wish it could be done as i still really miss the Cowshed days and the great atmosphere we used to generate.
But then to have standing along the side and replace the BB terrace with seating would be a shame for those who are Big Bankers of old! :p