• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ground development and the Rugger lot

NHSgas

Hello, Gashead in peace here..

Read about plans to improve your stadium, good luck with it all, just wondered why ECFC and the Rugger lot didnt share the new rugger ground? seems a tidy place with plenty of room to improve if needed, where St James would prob cost a lot to develop ude to its location ect .

who owns sandy park? rugger lot? council? private?
Football club invited? ignored? or did Exeter City FC decline to be involved?

All very similar to our situation at the gas in the past (and possibly future)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
We looked into sharing as part of our consultation re: stadium a couple of years back - main stumbling block would be the cost of "buy in" at the ground - several million, I believe.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As owners of our football club, we had a vote on staying put or going out to the middle of nowhere. We quite rightly voted to keep our place near the City centre.

They also wanted more money from ground sharing than it'll cost to redevelop our ground!

We'd lose the additional income, e.g. from conferences.

Last edited:

NHSgas

As owners of our football club, we had a vote on staying put or going out to the middle of nowhere. We quite rightly voted to keep our place near the City centre.

They also wanted more money from ground sharing than it'll cost to redevelop our ground!

We'd lose the additional income, e.g. from conferences.
Totally understand the wanting to stay central bit but if it had been cheap enough sometimes you have to move for the better of the club.. hence we look like heading slighty further out ...
The cost of developing stadium like ours at the mem and St James park can cripple clubs, madness really that in this day and age clubs dont work together.
If Rovers got together with the Rugger lot it would have the costs but prob halve the incoming as well but to me deals need to be done to keep sports clubs alive and well...

Cheers for replies chaps

all the best for this coming season!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Totally understand the wanting to stay central bit but if it had been cheap enough sometimes you have to move for the better of the club.. hence we look like heading slighty further out ...
The cost of developing stadium like ours at the mem and St James park can cripple clubs, madness really that in this day and age clubs dont work together.
If Rovers got together with the Rugger lot it would have the costs but prob halve the incoming as well but to me deals need to be done to keep sports clubs alive and well...

Cheers for replies chaps

all the best for this coming season!
We want to stay central, it's where a football club should be, in the community. F*ck going out on a purpose built site miles away from the centre, you'll end up with another soul-less bowl, amusingly with at least 10,000 seats empty.

I reckon you lot should just stay put and let the proper club in the south of your city try and make the Prem ;)

NHSgas

We want to stay central, it's where a football club should be, in the community. F*ck going out on a purpose built site miles away from the centre, you'll end up with another soul-less bowl, amusingly with at least 10,000 seats empty.

I reckon you lot should just stay put and let the proper club in the south of your city try and make the Prem ;)
Im still hopefull that the inbred 82ers will do what Devons 'PREMIER' club ;) have done since they aimed for the prem ! [y]

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are Exeter "city". We'd look like right tits if we were playing at a ground half way to Exmouth.

As for the red side of Bristol I have a feeling that things aren't as smooth as they might first appear up there, they have worryingly little depth to their squad and no players who are really outstanding other than Maynard. I can see them struggling next season.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Im still hopefull that the inbred 82ers will do what Devons 'PREMIER' club ;) have done since they aimed for the prem ! [y]
Could well happen, isn't Lansdown pulling out? However things are hardly rosey either with Rovers bank account, yet you're splashing the cash to get back to L1 at the first attempt.

At the end of the day though, I like seeing both Bristol clubs do well, or at least be in the same division as us so I get my annual easy trip ;)

RobG

We like to pass the ball and you never could on a sh*t pitch like that in topsham

NHSgas

We are Exeter "city". We'd look like right tits if we were playing at a ground half way to Exmouth.

As for the red side of Bristol I have a feeling that things aren't as smooth as they might first appear up there, they have worryingly little depth to their squad and no players who are really outstanding other than Maynard. I can see them struggling next season.
they dont seem to have any spending power and have lost circa £18m in the last 2 seasons... so im hopefull but not really expectant!!

hopefully they get relegated and we get promotion and we we be back amongst them!..

i reckon you lot will do ok .. no great shakes in league 1 this time as all the teams that came down are skint... and with Saints and Brighton out of the way it looks a tight league

you and a fair few others should def have a shout of play offs

can see udders and Sheff we up nr the top ... and teams like yourselves, charlton, b'mouth, palace and preston fighting it out...