• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimsby Town vs Exeter City - Match Day Thread

Terryhall

It was a very poor penalty. It wasnt struck hard enough, and it wasnt very near the post. It was where Sweeney always seems to place his penalties (barring one, which he missed!). I agree, I think other clubs study penalties; and judging by yesterdays, the keeper seemed confident where that ball would go. He dived that way before the ball was struck! I originally thought he got both hands to it, which was incorrect. He could have used both though, since he got so far across, he had the option.
PSA - The screenshots of the penalty posted by Spoonz earlier in the thread do not necessarily support this post.

My view remains that the keeper guessed the right way, and made a good one handed save. It happens.

les.gtfc

PSA - The screenshots of the penalty posted by Spoonz earlier in the thread do not necessarily support this post.

My view remains that the keeper guessed the right way, and made a good one handed save. It happens.
It was a good save. McKeown says that before the penalty was taken he pointed to that side of the goal to try and double bluff Sweeney as to which way he was going to dive. Worked quite well too. :)

ExeterCityLad

It was a good save. McKeown says that before the penalty was taken he pointed to that side of the goal to try and double bluff Sweeney as to which way he was going to dive. Worked quite well too. :)
A penalty taker usually knows the way he's going before he steps up to the spot. I doubt him pointing made any difference to where Sweeney was going.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sweeney's run up suggested that he was always going to put it to the 'keepers left. The last time he ran up like that and tried to put it the other way was his second penalty against Notts County and he dragged that one wide.

I'd rather give credit to the 'keeper than anything else though.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
A penalty taker usually knows the way he's going before he steps up to the spot. I doubt him pointing made any difference to where Sweeney was going.
Indeed the technique of indicating , either expressly or impliedly, which way the keeper intends to dive is as old as the hills. The taker then has to decide whether it’s a genuine indication, a bluff, a double bluff, a triple bluff etc. So anyone who becomes a regular penalty taker just puts that out of his mind. McKeown made a good save but wasn’t as clever as he appears to think he was.