• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grimes watch.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I saw him come on at villa for the last 15 minutes or so. He was in a defensive midfield position, picking the ball up from the back 4 and getting moves going, but he didn’t really do much - just keep them ticking over. He didn’t give the ball away much, if at all, but didn’t make an impact on the game.

andrew p long

Grimes seems to be playing 90 minutes every game now in an improving Swansea side. But what is his position? Is he left back? I don't see him involved in any goals on the highlights shows.
He did have to play left back for one game ( or perhaps 75 minutes after the left back went off with no natural left back elsewhere in the 18). He didn’t look a natural there, but got credit for gamely filling in on behalf of the team.

Since then I think he has been a fixture in midfield. But when I watch the Swansea goals he is neither involved and often not within 40 yards! But obviously doing well in a low key way.

grecIAN Harris

He did have to play left back for one game ( or perhaps 75 minutes after the left back went off with no natural left back elsewhere in the 18). He didn’t look a natural there, but got credit for gamely filling in on behalf of the team. Since then I think he has been a fixture in midfield. But when I watch the Swansea goals he is neither involved and often not within 40 yards! But obviously doing well in a low key way.
Maybe that's because he isn't the attacking midfielder/Number 10 that many on here have always thought he is. He pulls the strings better from a deeper role.

Pobbop

I think he played a nice through-ball in the lead up to the Swans first goal from deep.

gazzza

Evening, Matty just signed a new deal up to 2022. Well deserved as well. Finally flourishing under G Potter. https://www.swanseacity.com/news/grimes-signs-new-contract

Last edited:

jimbo-gould

Signed a new deal at Swansea. Pleased for him, didn't look like he would make it there.

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/grimes-signs-new-contract

Stelios

Delighted for him.

If a player of his class and ability couldn't make it at a higher level I'd have to question everything I know about the game!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Delighted for him.

If a player of his class and ability couldn't make it at a higher level I'd have to question everything I know about the game!
Likewise. It was obvious from his debut against [I think] AFC Wimbledon that he was, by some considerable distance, the most accomplished player to come through the ranks in my 40-odd years of supporting ECFC. Clearly, Ethan Ampadu is a huge talent, was a year or two younger when he made his debut, and may, ultimately, go on to greater things but, for me, Grimes' debut was different class.

hillview red

Glad to see him doing well... I think he’s now very close to an appearances trigger point that should bring ECFC a little more money...

jimbo-gould

Glad to see him doing well... I think he’s now very close to an appearances trigger point that should bring ECFC a little more money...
I thought the fee was final no matter with Grimes' transfer no matter on appearances/performance?