• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Great West Run and doing it for Stanno

gwr man

up to today, there are 1500 entries, our max' is 3000, and we usually fill up.

there are some excellent training plans on the event website, and there is a training group that goes from ironbridge runner on saturday mornings at 09.15.

we also have a 5k race on the same day as the half marathon, so you can do 3 miles for adam instead of the 13.1 if you want to have a go but arn't that fit/confident

there is lots of info' on ##URL REMOVED##

UTC

**** Sorry! Web links not allowed for new users ****
This is an effort to combat spam postings. We apologise for any inconvenience.

ececfecfcok

Hi Adam's sister

Just to let you know I've PMd you about the heat transfers - not sure how often you log in, so thought I'd let you know.

Apologies to everyone else as this is about a PM which defeats the object, but it does not harm to bump it!

How's the training going everyone?!!!

mole221

Thanks for bumping this up mate, haven't seen it before. Anyway, I might have a go at the 5k one, don't reckon I'm fit enough for the whole 13 mile. But can somone just explain how it works to me, because I'm a bit dim, do you just go on and enter here, get conformation, download a sponsor form and give it to the GWR people to give the money out, or do you run 'for' a charity of your choice. Help Me.

ececfecfcok

You can either run for a charity or charities of your own choice, or for the official charities of the GWR which are Force, Hospicecare, the Adam Stansfield Foundation and Wonford and St Paul's Youth and Community Project. Whether you choose your own or run for the official charities, you tell them on the sponsorship form which it's gonna be. If you go to the Home Page, there's an "Am I In?" link which lists everyone registered - interesting scrolling through to see who's doing it for which charity.

Then you'll need to collect the money yourself. If you're gonna get donations through an online site, check the small print. Just Giving take 5% of donations as a fee (plus a credit card charge if relevant). Virgin Money Giving charge 2%, but charge charities a one-off fee of £100 (I think!). It's all a bit complicated and it's getting late. Maybe stick with paper sponsorship forms, but remember to get gift aid details!!!

Hope that helps.

mole221

Cheers for that mate, I'll start doing it now.

ececfecfcok

Good stuff. If it's your first 5K I'll sponsor you. If it's not, I'll sponsor you if you do the half marathon!

mole221

Good stuff. If it's your first 5K I'll sponsor you. If it's not, I'll sponsor you if you do the half marathon!
I can't do the half marathon, wish I could, but I'm not 17, so it has to be the 5k, it is my first one though. I'll sort all the entry forms and all tomorow.
Thanks a lot though :), are you running?

mole221

I see on the 'Am I in?' page that Mark Halsey and Mike Mullarkey are running the 5k for the Stanno Foundation, great gesture from the both of them. Would have thought that a world cup final Linesman, and a premier league referee could do a half marathon though :p

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Anyone running the Great West Run for Stanno will be entitled to a full hour's complimentary training PT with myself at Fitness First (saving of £25). I will arrange for any non-members to receive a free guest pass also so entry to the gym and use of its facilities (and group classes) will be free as well (saving of a further £8).

To save my inbox on here getting full, please could people email me:

[email protected]

to state if they are interested in a free session and I will be in touch to work out a day/time with you then. Sessions will include advanced stretching, some muscular endurance work and mainly of course cardio training.

For those who do not know me, I am a Level 3 Personal Trainer, and a Wright Foundation Instructor

Littlebreeder

Apologies to everyone else as this is about a PM which defeats the object, but it does not harm to bump it!

How's the training going everyone?!!!
Training is going well, we ran a local 10 mile race in Wiltshire last weekend in 1hr 28mins, hopefully that might mean I can get a 2hr half marathon (husband's looking at around 1hr 40mins). Got a 10k race lined up four weeks before the GWR

Got to get round to setting up a Just Giving page soon so that we can start the donations coming!

How's everybody else doing with their training?