• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Going over old ground...

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Allianz has recently launched an infrastructure debt fund in the UK and is looking to invest £3bn in the next 3 to 5 years, could they directly finance our redevelopment backed by a suitable number of student rooms? It's worth an enquiry!

Last edited:

grecianred

If this is true we should be moving very quickly. We have already missed the boat (seemingly) on the Neighbourhood Plan / Development Order, and haven't as far as I know moved on the Asset of Community Value matter with ECC. Shame there never seems to be any true progress while there are people will knowledge and skills the Trust seems unwilling to engage.

Taz

Correct, however land on the streatham campus has been earmarked I understand.
From what I understand, there are no real options to build on Streatham at the moment. This development would have to be 'off campus' within 15 minutes (walking) of the campus - we would fill that criteria at SJP.

hatch4england

The fact that the university owes £200m does not mean it is up the Swannee. The amount of investment it has made is sensational, and largely predicated on increasing capacity to bring in squillions of foreign students which are extremely profitable for the university (the University has grown 400% in student numbers since I attended it).

The cohort of MBA students I gave a talk to last year was (alone) worth more than £4m a year in tuition fees, and I suspect a lot of them didn't attend it (it wasn't compulsory).

The cash-flows will be excellent, I'd have thought.

The big issue is that if something happens which severely dampens student numbers, then the whole city is in the bin: our largest employer would need to cut staff, the debt servicing would be problematic, house prices (bouyed up by the buy to let mkt) would fall and so on. I can't see what would offhand, but it is a risk.