• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

George Friend

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
A friend if mine is a yam yam too and has been singing george's praises all season and also says he'll be quality once he gets a bit more experience
Yes, this certainly seems to be the thinking by many up there, I've got a mate who supports them, and he reckons they are impressed with the lad, and expecting him to break through sooner or later.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's interesting how managers seem to be reluctant to throw "kids" into the rough and tumble of the Prem. Looking at the age profile of squads in the dizzy heights, clubs seem happy to loan young players out....

Troy is a great example of this. At certain games last year, all around were shouting "Get him off Tisdale, he's a liability!" but Spurs think he's worth another contract.

Players get experience from playing games, so I wouldn;t be surprised to see George loaned out for a while. Can;t see it being Tivvy this time though...

flakey pasty

If he is loaned out, say to a Championship club, and gets appearances under his belt, would this count towards the appearance-based remuneration to ECFC?

ecfc_adamski

I honestly think he can play premiership level.
However, i worry about him under that clown Mcarthy who i consider to be litter.
Lets face it, he was able to spend 350,000 on Friend without ever playing him to speak of. Just proves you can buy success.
Probably only a good scout gave Mcarthy his name in the first place, dont remember seeing that idiot down the park keeping tabs.
DIPSTICK.
Did i mention i dont like him.

bflockha

Think with the kind of season that Wolves are likely to have, George if he is in the starting line ups is going to have to be a very quick learner. wasnt impressed with any of the sides who got promotion last season and it would be no surprise if they filled the bottom three places of the premiership.

Benito

Surely it's hard not to be a bit impressed with what Burnley did last season? Sure, I expect them to go down next season, but they've done terrifically well.

bflockha

Thought the CCC was a very poor league last season, Burnley did do well but think that shows the quality that was in that league.
Burnley did beat 4 or 5 premiership sides, could possibly be a different story when they are playing them week in and week out or even twice a week.
Stoke did well last season, think Burnley will play to much football and the other two didnt look to strong at the back.
Isnt football great for having opinions?

grecianfaniow

I think the gargs are going to really struggle next season :)

Parklife

It's interesting how managers seem to be reluctant to throw "kids" into the rough and tumble of the Prem. Looking at the age profile of squads in the dizzy heights, clubs seem happy to loan young players out....

Troy is a great example of this. At certain games last year, all around were shouting "Get him off Tisdale, he's a liability!" but Spurs think he's worth another contract.

Players get experience from playing games, so I wouldn;t be surprised to see George loaned out for a while. Can;t see it being Tivvy this time though...
I wonder if this is more likely now that Wolves have signed Andrew Surman from Southampton? He plays down the left and also has more experience at a higher level than George.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wonder if this is more likely now that Wolves have signed Andrew Surman from Southampton? He plays down the left and also has more experience at a higher level than George.
In the local press here (I live uncomfortably close to Wolverhampton!) Surman is being described as a midfielder-the impression being that he'd play centre mid.

George is part of the 24 man squad jetting off to Australia for the pre-season,leaving behind some experienced/transfer listed pros.

Its wide midfield they are looking at.George is probably now 4th choice at left back,wirh Elokobi returning to fitness after a year out.

Much will depend on the system adopted.Wolves have consistently played with wingers (Kightly and jarvis with Reid for cover).But now they're in the prem might it be prudent -especially away- to have more defensively able/defensively minded wide men?