• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

George Friend

GrecianInWales

(Thread possibly a sign of how quiet it is on the discussion front).

Got chatting to a Wolves fan in the pub last night, and asked what he thought of George - was really enthusiastic about our former left-back and I got the impression a lot of Wolves fans rate him highly and are excited about him as 'one for the future'.

Really hope George gets regular starts next season and manages to catch the eye in the Premiership. He's certainly got the talent and dedication to play at that level.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't agree with this, George is a long way from being a regular starter in the top flight, he wasn't even a regular player at CCC level.

I wish him all the best and think that it would be great if I was wrong but I really can't see him getting more than a few games as sub.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Always said it, George Friend will play at the highest level.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
However, there were quite a few who questioned why he wasn't in the side more often.

Benito

He's still really young. I would expect him to go on loan, to a L1 or Championship side, for a large part of next season, maybe with a view to a more prominent role the season after.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
He's still really young. I would expect him to go on loan, to a L1 or Championship side, for a large part of next season, maybe with a view to a more prominent role the season after.
A League 1 side, you say? ;)

GrecianInWales

Yep, as Benito says, he's still pretty young. And I didn't say he would be a regular starter this season, I said I hoped he'd get a chance for a regular start (much like he was offered the chance to establish himself after Billy Jones left here).

He's got a great attitude, plenty of natural talent and I genuinely think that he has the potential to be a Premier League player. He's also used to biding his time - after all, he had a couple of seasons here where he only played sporadically, yet when he got the chance of a regular first team spot he looked like he'd been playing for years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned out at some point this season, but if Wolves get a couple of unfortunate injuries and suspensions he could have the chance to stake a claim for a first team spot.

Anyway, it's good to know that Wolves fans seem to rate him and can also see the potential we saw as well.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't agree with this, George is a long way from being a regular starter in the top flight, he wasn't even a regular player at CCC level.

I wish him all the best and think that it would be great if I was wrong but I really can't see him getting more than a few games as sub.
Just to clarify, I meant that in terms of next season. Given a few breaks and some good experience elsewhere I think that he can progress well, just not sure that he's ready for the big league yet :)

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
A friend if mine is a yam yam too and has been singing george's praises all season and also says he'll be quality once he gets a bit more experience

finetime

In terms of developing physique he certainly has a chance of making it at fullback, perhaps even in the premiership.

As has been mentioned he needs CCC games to get plenty of experience at a higher level. Asking him to get straight into a premiership team when he was in L2 the season before and only having a dozen or so games in between is a massive massive ask.