• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

George Friend at Doncaster

Cravat 2

I would love to have Gorgeous George back.

However, you can't read too much into what the Doncaster fans are saying. If you read this board you'd think Ryan Harley was terrible.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would love to have Gorgeous George back.

However, you can't read too much into what the Doncaster fans are saying. If you read this board you'd think Ryan Harley was terrible.
Not terrible just not interested. 1 good game in 6 sh*t ones isn't acceptable so he doesn't warrant the god-like status he is getting again.

donnyfan

Hello again.

Pleased to report a huge improvement from George in recent weeks. He's been our best player in the past 4 games. Despite the bad run we've been on, the upturn in GF's form has been very pleasing. He has done pretty well at full back in recent weeks, but tonight at Norwich he played centre half as a result of our dire injury problems. I didn't go to Carrow Road tonight, but by all accounts he did very well in a game where we battled to get a point against one of the divisions high flying teams. His confidence seems to have grown, and apparently he's a very nice kid off the field as well.

If he can continue to recreate the form he has shown over the last few weeks, then he will be a good Championship player. His recent displays have started to win over the supporters as well, and he is getting a much fairer judgement from our fans these days.

Hopefully I'll be back soon with continued good news on who appears to be a very well respected young player.

Last edited:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Cheers, donnyfan, appreciated. [y]

Jam Doughnut

I thought i had a guaranteed winning bet today - brighton to beat plymouth and because i read on bbc sport that doncaster had 14 players injured! i added norwich to beat doncaster to make it a nice little double , plymouth fell to pieces as expected but doncaster somehow managed a draw....gutted! just wondering did you really have that many injuries or was it a made up story?

Ian Tarr

I think it was only a matter of time before someone somewhere apart from ECFC put enough faith in him.

And it seems that it is being repaid. Lots of credit to Donny, who play the game the way it should be played, just like we do.

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
He is part of a back line that has conceded 12 goals in 4 games, what will happen when he plays badly ? *-)

donnyfan

He is part of a back line that has conceded 12 goals in 4 games, what will happen when he plays badly ? *-)
Not really his fault. We're ravaged by injuries at the minute, and we've got a dozen or more important players missing. George's upturn in form has probably been the only positive out of our recent run.

I thought i had a guaranteed winning bet today - brighton to beat plymouth and because i read on bbc sport that doncaster had 14 players injured! i added norwich to beat doncaster to make it a nice little double , plymouth fell to pieces as expected but doncaster somehow managed a draw....gutted! just wondering did you really have that many injuries or was it a made up story?
Yeah, we do have that many injuries. Just look at our recent form and that tells its own story. Lost 8 out of the last 10 I think. If you'd have spoken to any DRFC fan before the Norwich game, we'd have told you to lump your money on Norwich as well. It was a totally unexpected result and it felt like a win considering that we're missing about 13 good players.

At Swansea on Saturday, we had a bench of 4.... a rookie goalkeeper and 3 centre halves. At Norwich we had the same bench, plus Dean Shiels and two youth teamers. Plus, we've padded out our starting 11 with two emergency loanees in the past 2 games - Jason Euell to play up front because we have no other fit strikers, and Franck Moussa to play in midfield.

So, yeah, we have got that many injuries, and the Norwich result was totally unexpected. Funny old game, eh?

Last edited:

donnyfan

Wow, how things change, eh? George is like a completely different player since he's switched to centre half. His performances over the last couple of months have been terrific, and he has turned from zero to hero amongst much of the Rovers support. Even when he's had to fill in at Left-back for the odd game, he's been very good in the last couple of months. Whether that is a confidence thing, or whether he's learnt the game better while playing at CB, I don't know, but he's almost been like a new signing. He really has improved that much.

We've been looking for a good left-sided centre half all season.... turns out we already had one in our ranks, playing at left back! When he was having a tough time at full back, I always wondered if he'd make a better centre back - he's got the height and the strength so the raw materials have always been there.

Alright, he's not perfect at the moment, but he looks like he's got massive potential as a central defender. He looks like he could be a big player for us in that position in years to come.

There you have it... you can all say "I told you so" now. :D

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So we can't have him back?